Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired an XL700VA, needed to replace the chain and sprockets and was a disappointed with the original sprocket bolts. The 6mm Allen key heads were rounded out and a pain to undo (I think the previous owner was a gorilla - everything has been overtightened)

I measured the length and pitch and headed off to a bolt shop, but no luck. Tried a Honda dealer, who's search for the same length and pitch turned up these bolts. The head is deeper and fatter with an 8mm key. Don't know what bike they're off but they are just the job.

OEM Part # 90104 - MGR - 670 about £2.80 a piece. I'm happy.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part Crankset
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part Crankset

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did mine earlier this year, they all came out ok except one. Had to use a chisel n heat to get it out.
They’re not the only bikes with this problem, and the bolts aren’t cheap from Honda so some with bigger Allen key is a bonus 👍

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had to go and check my rear sprocket bolts. I thought I'd had to replace at least one of the bolts, but my '03 650 still has all of the original socket head screws.
In my defence, I've owned the bike from new and performed all the chain and sprockets changes myself (6 or 7 not sure).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ball ends are only intended for free moving, loosened bolts. They aren't intended to be strong enough to undo tight bolts.
I bought myself a set of 1/2" drive socket type wrenches for Allen heads. The 6mm broke years ago and has been replaced with an impact driver type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts