Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necassary to grease, lubricate the front and rear suspensions. When I come to a halt the "Squeak", "Squeak", "Squeak", is starting to get on my nerves. :x

What pieces should be cleaned,oiled etc. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact locations but it is definately from the front and rear suspensions, I hear it everytime I get on or off the bike, when the motor is not running.

HELP before I become demented.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Regarding the back end you will have remove the swing arm (Rd04/Rd07) and the suspension linkages to make sure the bearings are in good condition and to apply fresh grease, can't comment on the front, never had a squeaky front end :wink:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
For the front, check that no cables are rubbing on anything to make it squeak.

If not, then further inspection of the forks may be required :shock: - how old is the shock oil? - not that this would cause the squeak, but should be changed every couple of years.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
If the rear end suspension linkages squeak, then there's a good chance greasing is too late, as damage has already ocurred to the bearings/sleeves. It'll be a replacement job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cabbage2404 said:
Regarding the back end you will have remove the swing arm (Rd04/Rd07) and the suspension linkages to make sure the bearings are in good condition and to apply fresh grease, can't comment on the front, never had a squeaky front end :wink:
Thaks for the replys guys, but removing swingarms, linkages etc is definately not something that I would trust myself doing. Although I will consider removing the rear wheel and giving everything a good clean. What would be the best product to remove the tar, grit and slime that has accumulated around the suspension unit. I presume that a high pressure hose would be out of question ?

I don't want to have to "fork" out a small fortune before elimanting the more accessible possibilitys. Would it be worth cleaning eveything and simply applying a nice dose of grease to everything that moves or I am really too late.

My bike has 61000Kms and the previous owner never rode in the rain or did any TT. There is no lateral play in the rear swingarm and I don't want to be too hasty in paying a garage for bits that "appear" to be in good condition.

Cheers Roy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you post where you are based AND have a centre-stand, it's likely someone off the site would offer help. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cabbage2404 said:
If you post where you are based AND have a centre-stand, it's likely someone off the site would offer help. :wink:
I have the centre stand, but I doubt that someones goiing to come over and help :cry:

·
Registered
282 Posts
squeeky shock

Hi Roy
checking the swinging arm linkage is actually very easy, especially if you have a centre stand and back wheel off.
with the wheel off try to move the swinging arm up and down ..... any movement would mean worn linkage bearings. If you get under the bike you'll see the shock is attached to the linkage with one bolt and its relativily simple to replace the bearings or giving them a good greasing, once youve take the linkage apart. have a look in the tech data section for the micro fische detail for the linkage.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Re: squeeky shock

Phoenix said:
with the wheel off try to move the swinging arm up and down ..... any movement would mean worn linkage bearings.
I am confused now Phoenix, is the swingarm not supposed to go up and down :?: :?

I would think if it can move from side to side it would be a problem :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Roy

Before you start stripping things down, you could try this.

Ride it in the rain, through a river, similar, but just get it really wet.

Good soapy solution, and an old brush, and give her a god clean.

Take her for a ride, a let her get good and dry.

Does she still squeek?

If so, if you can, lay the bike on its side, using an old mattress or a patch of nice grass to protect it.

Get another brush, and some warmed up (and so thinned) engine oil, and paint it around all the bearings, take your time and let it work in, and then stand her up, bounce the suspension to work it in and repeat if necessary.

Pressure washing directly on a bearing won't do it any good at all (although I am guilty of doing it in the past too) so it may be that the previous owner did a bit too much of it.

Another solution could also be to spray some chain lube (which is kind to metal and rubber) into the bearings while the bike is over.

If the bearings are truly knackered, nothing in the world, apart from replacement will save them, but you might just be lucky.

Start with the cheap ideas/solutions first...I always do.

Best of Luck

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah ha, no more squeakies, satisfied grin appears on face.

I gave her a good clean and removed the various dirt, grit, tar and oil that had accumulated around the various rear suspension parts. A liberal dose of WD40 and voila no more squeaks.

In the end there was no squeak from the front it was just the noise coming from rear end.

I'm a happy man again, says he sitting at the traffic lights bouncing up and down like a child that just discovered a NON squeaky trampoline.

Cheers Roy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts