Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to recommend Stagonset (Stagonset Stainless Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners) for stainless fasteners. Placed an order last Friday morning, email confirmation that order had been dispatched the same afternoon, and now (Monday morning 10 o'clock) they've just dropped through the letter box.

Look like top quality stuff and exactly what I ordered, which goes to show that their descriptions are spot on.

So, my bike will have a few less tatty fasteners on it when I put it back together. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I second that.:thumbright: I have ordered stuff from them 3 or 4 times. Always comes quickly. Their website is good too, with detailed pictures set against graph paper of all fasteners so you always know exactly what you are looking at and if it is what you want.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Caliper Mounts
Disk mounting bolts
Sprocket retaining bolts/nuts
Subframe (that holds the seat and riders weight)
Yoke clamps

Basically anywhere there will be high stresses or shear stresses.

:thumbup:

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Been using stainless bolts on the RD fork clamps for years
never a problem, disc bolts as well but the RD has 8/10 mm bolts not so sure if i would be so keen on the 5 mm ones on newer bikes, but one of the guys on the RD forum worked out the stresses once and reckoned the thing about stainless being weaker was not really to be worried about,
but ihave seen truck wheels that we could not remove with a sledge hammer with the nuts completely off, we put the nuts back on leaving them a couple of mm off the wheel and moved the truck a few yards turning the steering a bit and they soon came loose, so never underestimate the stress wheels etc are under

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I've actually seen stainless steel bolts/nuts for sale, that were listed for sprocket carriers and yoke clamps, but I wouldn't use them.

I was always told (by MotoGP mechanics) not to use SS fasteners anywhere around the brakes on a road bike (I suppose a bleed nipple would be an exception) so I never have.

Another thing I was told (by a Ducati mechanic) was NEVER re-plate (zinc etc) high tensile steel bolts, as used on brakes etc as it can weaken the steel.

Used in bulk, stainless steel can't be any more expensive than a steel bolt, so why don't manufacturers use them?????

Just my un-educated opinion, someone who knows better may be along shortly to poo-poo it, but I'll stick with cheap old steel for now :lol:

Bob :thumbup:

(Please bear in mind I'm bordering on anal purist as well; The LMF I bought some time ago had all the original Honda bolts replaced with stainless steel socket heads. I almost cried when I saw it!!!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts