Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, before I go mad. My Domi keeps stalling when on tick over. It seesm to tickover fine for a minute or so and then just stops, like the kill switch has been operated. Any ideas? Also, I have rebuilt the master cylinder and replaced the pistons and seals, but the front brake is still very spongy - I have bled and bled and bled, so I don't think it is air in the line

·
Registered
395 Posts
Front Brake = cable tie the lever to the bar grip over night. Lets any air bubbles rise up to the master cylinder / fluid reservoir.
If that don't work, new brake lines.

Tick over = either turn the tick over up a bit or strip and clean the carb. (or both)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - thanks, I'll tie the lever back tonight. I hav stripped and cleaned the carb, it all seems fine and dandy inside. The other thing I noticed is that when I rev it the rev counter drops down to zero. The bike seems to run okay on the road, it coughs a bit every now and then and the neutral light doesn't always come on, so I sometimes have to start it with the clutch levr held in

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Re: The brake, how old is your bike? If it's still on the original brake lines it might be time to replace them and it won't hurt to put on a steel braided line anyway.

Idle stalling is a known issue with these bikes. Fiddling with the idle mixture helps a bit though they seem to be too lean anyway. I eventually stuck a bigger idle jet in mine (#50 instead of #48) and completely re-jetted everything, that seems to have cured it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The other thing I noticed is that when I rev it the rev counter drops down to zero. The bike seems to run okay on the road, it coughs a bit every now and then and the neutral light doesn't always come on, so I sometimes have to start it with the clutch levr held in
The rev counter thing sounds like a dodgy connection or earth, when you rev it the vibes rattle whatever it is loose. Might explain the cutting out too.

Check the fuses too, my mates kawasaki had all sorts of strange going ons related to a broken fuse that would occasionally make or break contact. Changed the fuse and everything was fine.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Sounds like bad wiring. If so, you'll have various electrical problems including sudden engine cutoff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice - I'm off to HEL today to buy a braided hose - leaving the lever tied to the bars helped, but it's still too soft. Also, the cutting out is intermittent - doesn't happed all the time.

I think it is an electrical loose connection, because the bike coughs every now and then, for no apparent reason when riding along the road.

I am going to check all connections - there is a naked wire which has obviously been rubbed through by chaffing from the clutch cable - that is the first culprit - the wire looks like the pulse generator wire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go to your Honda dealer, car or bike. They sell a fuel system cleaner that is far superior that most on the market. This I have used many times on all makes of cars and bikes since having it recommended to me by my local Lexus dealership that uses this stuff themselves....

This does work wonders..... and as it's enough for a car, you only need half the can to a full Dommie tank of fuel... so get 2 uses of it.

You will have a noticeable difference after using it, and saves having to strip the carb down.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts