Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just done loads of work on the bike, all successful then went to start it and nada.

The other day the rear tyre blew and came off the bead, causing me to fishtail and come off. Apart from the tyre a headlamp smashed. I was bruised but no worse.

A car coming on the other direction happened to have footage on dash cam (I'll post at the end).

Anyway, today my ribs had stopped aching enough for me to get the bike out of the garage, change the tyre and tube and replace the broken headlight. While I had the headlights off I put in brighter bulbs and I then fitted a bloody great LED light for night riding. Boy are they all bright now - this pic is in bright sunshine.

IMG_0791 by Chris Wheal, on Flickr

So I have full electricity but the starter does not even click. has something go knocked in the crash or have I been a numptie and disconnected something while playing with the lights?

The weave:

·
Registered
792 Posts
A stunning stunt captured for posterity! Remarkable you hung on as long as you did.

Can you connect the battery directly to the starter to see if it turns over? If it does then could be the starter relay or could be somewhere from starter switchgear to the relay.

And the various cutoff switches as mentioned above.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sidestand switch?
Clutch switch?
Neutral switch?
30amp Master Fuse?
Your electrical skills?
God telling you that you're too old and should really give bikes up?
Tried with clutch in. Pulled 30amp fuse out and looked. it was in neutral and sidestand switch shouldn't stop it starting in neutral.

The wiring and age remain suspects.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I dropped mine at low speed on a car park a couple of years ago, and wouldn't then start; what happened was one of the spade connectors that hook up to the clutch switch had come a bit loose. I firked it back on firmly, and job done :thumbup:

Glad you're OK after that off!

·
Junior
455 Posts
Shit... how's your jocks ?? . + 1 on clutch switch or 30amp fuse , good that you back on the road so soon .

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dare I ask if you have checked the kill switch, oh swervy one?
Am I more stupid than I look or do I look more stupid than I am?

Tried that - but the kill switch let's it rev without sparking. This is dead as a dodo.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
You're milking it with the footage a bit Chris :)

It won't be the 30a fuse.
Has the sidestand switch had a wallop? Or the starter button/rh switch?
Do you have a multimeter or test light?
Pull the rubber boot back from the starter relay & check for power at the relevant wire on the 4p connector on the relay as you press the starter.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're milking it with the footage a bit Chris :)

It won't be the 30a fuse.
Has the sidestand switch had a wallop? Or the starter button/rh switch?
Do you have a multimeter or test light?
Pull the rubber boot back from the starter relay & check for power at the relevant wire on the 4p connector on the relay as you press the starter.
It went down on the sidestand side so I will check that first. I'll also buy a new battery for my multimeter as it was dead when I went to use it yesterday.

And everyone knows: you can't milk a Zebra.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts