Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I haven't had time to post in here in a long time, and now that i am it's to look for help! :rolleyes:

The starter motor on my '01 650 is developing problems and i want to take it out to clean the motor and the brushes.

A couple of questions for you experts..

The haynes manual says i need to remove the rear cylinder down pipe to get the motor out. Now, i know many people find that haynes instructions aren't always the most reliable, so has anyone else done this and confirm this step is necessary?

What sort of solution should i use to clean the motor and existing brushes?

I assume that there are different types of brushes for different motors, how easy would it be to get a new set in a hurry if they were needed? Would a motor factors supply a generic set that would work?

any info would be much appreciated,
cheers,
Dave.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
The Honda manual also says take the pipe off.
The service limit for the brushes is 6.5mm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Recycler, I was eyeing it up to see if i could wiggle it out but i reckon removing the pipe is the best option.

d.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After removing the exhaust and down pipes to get at the starter motor i noticed the +ive lead was only finger tight. I decided to remove the starter motor to inspect it anyway as i had gone to so much trouble. It was clean as a whistle and the brushes were 11mm. I reassembled and made sure the leads were good and tight and I haven't had a problem since.

If i'd checked the lead before removing the exhaust i'd have done the job in 5 minutes. :knob:

he he ... ah well.. lesson learned.

dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts