Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ‘93 600 TA I just bought has had a bit of a meltdown in the relay/regulator area, but been repaired and has run okay for quite a while. Apparently.

When I bought it I pulled the panels, tank and seat off just to have a general inspection. I pulled a few wires out, checked connections and put it back. Test started it, no problem.

Today I tried to start it to go for a ride, nothing, lights on the dash, but nothing when I pushed the starter. It span over when I jumped the solenoid poles, but no click off the button.

After several hours of bypassing switches and fitting a direct earth to the solenoid, I got it clicking. Then it stopped. I pulled the switch connection out, jumpered that, clicking again, then it stopped.

Any chance that the solenoid is simply faulty and intermittent? I have a new one on order.

Diodes. What exactly do the three diodes actually do, in the earth wires, and where are the 2 that are not in the fuse box? I tried working it out on the wiring diagram, but it just gives me a headache.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
there is a big main starter fuse near the battery somewhere (ie not in the regular fusebox), have you checked that?

53qu-048a982d7a3a10c27f480e521b2fe38f.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a big main starter fuse near the battery somewhere (ie not in the regular fusebox), have you checked that?

View attachment 138177
That one is the main supply fuse for the whole system, sends power to the ignition switch and also the regulator/rectifier. Mine is melted and deformed, but still held together. New unit on order, hoping to get the system looking presentable again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
New solenoid fitted, but it is the opposite way round to stock, so I had to ‘re-profile’ the heavy duty wires. All the melted wiring was cut, shut and reconnected and I got rid of the stock connector blocks, plus a chunk of wiring was removed.

It’s surprising how much extra wire they use, that’s not needed, 2 power supply wires from the rectifier go up the loom, under the tank, joins 2 into 1, then comes back down to plug into the solenoid unit......

Diodes checked, bike fired up first time. Battery charges, engine shuts down when put into gear with side stand down, all seems to work as designed.

Problem with the neutral switch reared it’s head later though, but I know there was something intermittent there. Need to investigate tomorrow. :cool::cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts