Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got helped home by the AA man today after my Dommie stalled (I know, right?) but then wouldn't start again.

After checking battery, earth, main fuse, etc. (all good) he gave the starter a sharp tap with a hammer and drift and voila, bike started!

He followed me home to make sure I got there, then we tried a few starts and after a few strong starts, the same thing - the dreaded "click" and nothing else. A quick tap on the starter and away we go again...

So, diagnosis - needs a new starter.

Question: how difficult a DIY job is that on the Haynes three-spanner scale? And how difficult are they to get hold of for a 99 Dommie (or are they common as muck, fit any bike, kinda things?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi not a big job, I recommend you take off both header pipes,
To make life easier take off starter cover( 5 bolts)it will make it easier and quicker when installing the new motor.
Detach earth lead and power cable from starter,slide out starter support bridge dont lose rubber support
Soft mallet tap out starter motor,
Whole job soup to nuts 15 /20 minutes.
New starter motors are readily available some chinese knock off copies some good 2nd hand ones available.

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi not a big job, I recommend you take off both header pipes,
To make life easier take off starter cover( 5 bolts)it will make it easier and quicker when installing the new motor.
Detach earth lead and power cable from starter,slide out starter support bridge dont lose rubber support
Soft mallet tap out starter motor,
Whole job soup to nuts 15 /20 minutes.
New starter motors are readily available some chinese knock off copies some good 2nd hand ones available.
Thanks, sounds fairly doable except for the remove header pipes bit. Mine look like they’ve never been off before and a world of corrosion, snapped studs and pain awaits...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks, sounds fairly doable except for the remove header pipes bit. Mine look like they’ve never been off before and a world of corrosion, snapped studs and pain awaits...

Big breath wd40 good soaking wait 10 minutes repeat
Good fit socket(12 /13m)
Not too much pressure dont be tempted to ease it by big hammer.
Worked for me

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friendly trustworthy local bike workshop is going to have a go at it by replacing brushes etc before we go down the road of replacing the whole starter motor. They know their way around a Honda, they rent them out to couriers, and hopefully will have the tools and nous to deal with corroded nuts and other pitfalls!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got helped home by the AA man today after my Dommie stalled (I know, right?) but then wouldn't start again.

After checking battery, earth, main fuse, etc. (all good) he gave the starter a sharp tap with a hammer and drift and voila, bike started!

He followed me home to make sure I got there, then we tried a few starts and after a few strong starts, the same thing - the dreaded "click" and nothing else. A quick tap on the starter and away we go again...

So, diagnosis - needs a new starter.

Question: how difficult a DIY job is that on the Haynes three-spanner scale? And how difficult are they to get hold of for a 99 Dommie (or are they common as muck, fit any bike, kinda things?)

Thanks!
Before you throw the old starter away, check the brushes. The "give it a tap and it will start" method usually means the brushes are worn away and need a tap to make then touch the commutator. The tap will usually only work for 5 or so starts.
If you replace the brushes you'll also need to have the commutator dressed (turned on a lathe and then the bar gaps undercut). I've done this to a number of starters for my bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts