1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all!

ive recently noticed an electrical gremlin with the side stand switch i think:

symptoms are:

to start bike, i need to pull up the side stand and pull in the clutch lever(even if the bikes in neutral) to enable it to fire up on the starter..

with the side stand down and the bike in neutral it wont start

where should i begin to look - sidestand switch - or the clutch switch? - or somewhere else perhaps?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Side stand switch without a single dought, clean the bugger with a jet wash first and see if that makes a difference.
It sounds like it's just sticking,bit of WD 40 would,nt go amiss as it cleans old grease of too.
If that dont help at least it's cleaner for you to take off and replace;)

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Side stand switch without a single dought, clean the bugger with a jet wash first and see if that makes a difference.
It sounds like it's just sticking,bit of WD 40 would,nt go amiss as it cleans old grease of too.
If that dont help at least it's cleaner for you to take off and replace;)
thank you Paul - much appricated:thumbright:

·
White van man
560 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Morning all!

ive recently noticed an electrical gremlin with the side stand switch i think:

symptoms are:

to start bike, i need to pull up the side stand and pull in the clutch lever(even if the bikes in neutral) to enable it to fire up on the starter..

with the side stand down and the bike in neutral it wont start

where should i begin to look - sidestand switch - or the clutch switch? - or somewhere else perhaps?:confused::confused::confused:

I'll go against the grain and suggest the neutral switch (or circuit). The bike thinks its in gear and wont start unless the clutch is in. The fact it wont start with the stand down (even if the clutch is in) reinforces this.

Does the neutral light work?

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll go against the grain and suggest the neutral switch (or circuit). The bike thinks its in gear and wont start unless the clutch is in. The fact it wont start with the stand down (even if the clutch is in) reinforces this.

Does the neutral light work?
Hi Boris,
yes the neutral light is working fine... i will have a rummage around and see whats what...

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Just to add to your list!

The sidestand switch is the main culprit I would guess, but on the RD03 and RD04 there is also a plug in diode hidden on the loom which has caused me problems in the past. Not sure if an RD07 has one, but if it does it's worth a check if all else fails.

It looks like a little black two terminal plug in cap, like THIS

Just checked for you and I think the RD07 uses a three pin one HERE but check before you order it OK!!

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Just to add to your list!

The sidestand switch is the main culprit I would guess, but on the RD03 and RD04 there is also a plug in diode hidden on the loom which has caused me problems in the past. Not sure if an RD07 has one, but if it does it's worth a check if all else fails.

It looks like a little black two terminal plug in cap, like THIS

Just checked for you and I think the RD07 uses a three pin one HERE but check before you order it OK!!

Bob
Yes that's where I was heading. The diode pack (basically two diodes with the anodes common) allows a simple logic gate between the side stand, clutch and neutral light. It looks a bit like a blade fuse and is often found in the fusebox. You could try turning it round in the holder and see if it changes the symptoms. Failing that at the end of the day the easiest way is to disconnect the sidestand switch and meter it out. It may be a changeover switch or just a make switch depending on the number of wires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts