Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 98 ex-military bike. It started ok but was very top end noisey, so one day i decided to adjust the tappets.
Decompressor tappets very wide so adjusted. Since then has not started.

To date I have: utlra sonic claned carb and blasted jets numerous times
Replaced pulse unit and CDI
Tried tow starting with car.
And to ad insult to injury the starter idle gear has broken twice!! has anyone experience of this.

I think i have checked every possible thing and as a decent mechanic am at a total loss, any ideas??

mike c

·
Registered
585 Posts
Does the ex military bike have a ROTAX engine? if so the cam belt may be the problem. Squaddies have changing this down to a fine art but obviously all the little marks must match up.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i may be trying to teach you to suck eggs, but a trick i was learn't years ago was to turn the engine over for a short while, remove the spark plug, if its dry you have no fuel, if its wet you have no spark. this cuts your possibilities in half.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

One thing i did not mention was the fact that it appears to fire, but will not sustain.

I have even tried tow starting and to no avail. It is like a timing issue, but there is noting to adjust.

Mike

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Does it have good old fashioned points, or electronic ignition?
Check the marks line up and also as you have adjusted the tappets ensure the are right.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
So, I have a 98 ex-military bike. It started ok but was very top end noisey, so one day i decided to adjust the tappets.
Decompressor tappets very wide so adjusted. Since then has not started.

To date I have: utlra sonic claned carb and blasted jets numerous times
Replaced pulse unit and CDI
Tried tow starting with car.
And to ad insult to injury the starter idle gear has broken twice!! has anyone experience of this.

I think i have checked every possible thing and as a decent mechanic am at a total loss, any ideas??

mike c
Did you adjust the tappets using a workshop maual? I only ask because I once adjusted the tappets on an XR250 with an automatic decompressor and didn't follow a manual. Turned out that the decompressor cable had to have something done to it before adjusting the valves or you got a false setting. Can't for the life of me remember what it was, but the manual will hopefully explain.

D

·
0 Posts
If it all went bad after adjusting the de-compressor tappets then put em back to where they were and see what happens.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
If it all went bad after adjusting the de-compressor tappets then put em back to where they were and see what happens.
yes, if changing something makes it worse then change it back, see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the replies,tried all them over the last 2 weeks.

Also now checked to see that ignition is firing at the right place using a strobe, video camera and muscle to turn engine over via the rear wheel!

It must be something very simple but what.

Has anyone had carb problems?

Cheers

Mike

D

·
0 Posts
I had this with a Honda 50 back in 1974 turned to be a bent valve. Remove the plug. Stick finger in plug hole. Turn motor over. Should feel compression on your finger otherwise its a bent valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts