Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening chaps,just bought an xl 600 paris dakar ,it was running a bit rough but after fettling carbs ect it now runs great,just one problem when kicking off it sometimes kicks back and it nearly bloody fractures your ankle,im assuming i am using wrong technique with the bar mounted compressor lever?what i have been doing is finding tdc then pull lever and just slowly turn motor past stiffest compression then give it a good kick with the lever released it starts usually 1st time but sometimes kicks back and i run screaming to my wife pointing at the bone sticking out of my ankle,my xl 500 s didnt try to maim me.what is the best non lethal way to start the old girl/cheers mark.

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
Your technique sounds okay, as such.
Two main points:
- Make sure you kick all the way down in one go. Otherwise she can smell your fear and that will never end well.
- Keep the throttle closed.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
not sure if its the same... but here how I start my DR600..

it has an auto decomp on one exhaust valve and a manual on the other ( 4 valve head ).

cold.. full choke and hold de comp lever in and hold then boot it over a few times to 'prime ' every thing..

pull in decomp lever and release ( it will hold in ) slowly boot over until lever springs out ( piston just past tdc )

let kick start return to original top position..

big swinging kick... vrooommmm :angel2:

hot.. as a bove no choke....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
xl600 has an auto decomp. I never use the lever on the bars to the point that I've removed it.
Use the kickstart slowly to find compression, let the kickstart come to the top and then big kick.
If using the choke don't touch the throttle.

Any pics?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I never use the lever on the bars to the point that I've removed it.
its there for a reason :D

I recall on the Peil Run Stuart & huddrs had to bump the XL off after it flooded after a spill..... keep the decomp lever in, ignition off throttle wide open and pump the starter a good few times and this clears this issue..

if your stuck in a hole and have to get it started you may need that lever :rolleyes:

used correctly these big singles are a doddle to start.. not like an BSA :angel2:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

I recall on the Peil Run Stuart & huddrs had to bump the XL off after it flooded after a spill..... keep the decomp lever in, ignition off throttle wide open and pump the starter a good few times and this clears this issue..

if your stuck in a hole and have to get it started you may need that lever :rolleyes:

used correctly these big singles are a doddle to start.. not like an BSA :angel2:

Our problem was that the deco lever was inoperable, that's why we were F****d, once Airwolf sorted it ( thanks ) we were away.

·
Registered
89 Posts
as above in first post.

i got my dr650 a few months ago,took me 2 weeks before a freind showed me how to start it:(

i push the kick start down until compression is felt,pull in the de-compression lever,allows the kickstart to travel a further few inches past the compression point,release de-com lever and allow kickstart to return to start position,then kick over,works fine every time now,i can even start bike sat on the seat.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Our problem was that the deco lever was inoperable, that's why we were F****d, once Airwolf sorted it ( thanks ) we were away.

fun to watch you guys Tow it off with a bit of para cord though :toothy1:

so you got the 'tanker' up for sale then :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
fun to watch you guys Tow it off with a bit of para cord though :toothy1:

so you got the 'tanker' up for sale then :thumbup:
It's for sale, but I'm not exactly pushing it, The CRF is it's replacement but I struggle to part with bikes especialy as its a sound one, if the deco lever had been set up properly before peil island I would probably of stuck with the XR and never bought the CRF ;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I struggle to part with bikes especialy as its a sound one, if the deco lever had been set up properly before peil island I would probably of stuck with the XR and never bought the CRF ;)

same here mate was going to punt my wee alp when I got the AT.. but .........:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for tip.ive tried keeping the throttle shut off when kicking off and she doesnt kick back anymore.i will post a pic shortly,it will get restored over winter as its a bit rough but totally original apart from bars,not bad for £370 just needs shoes,fork seals for mot.im also restoring an 1985 xr 600. the first year for the 600,s and personaly my favourite looking honda.cheers mark.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

:angel2:
Norfolks to flat to get any build up of water :D
The LM-f has a leccy start so whip the plug out, finger lightly in the hole and hit the button for a few secs, plug back in and away you go. Mostly.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts