Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I'm new to your forum but not to the dream of an africa twin! I am emmigrating to the States in a couple of months and have been looking all over for an AT there but no joy. Were they sold there, and if so was it under a different name? Any help and advice would be appreciated, cant bear the thought of the whole country to explore without the right tool for the job!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The Africa Twin was never officially sold in the U.S, however quite a few people there have done personal imports.

There is an issue with US citizens for importing them in certain states as they were not homologated there, however there is also a loophole I think whereby vehicles over a certain age are exempt I think.

Why not find a great Africa Twin and take it with you? You shouldn't have a problem selling it over there if you ever get bored with it!

There was a U.S member that contacted us a while back about a black RD07 that was for sale over there. He wanted an opinion on condition and value, and as far as I'm aware, he didn't end up buying it.

Another favoured option for those in the US is to create an Africa Alp, using a 600 Transalp chassis/engine, and RD03/4 bodywork, seat, swingarm etc.

I'll see if I can remember the thread and post a link.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Africa Twins are quite hard to find in the US. TransAlps are a bit easier but they were only officially imported into the US in 1989 and 1990. I had a Moonstone (tan) 1990 model when I lived in Colorado. Yes, the Africa Alp is a popular way to go but takes some time to build one.
If you've got an Africa Twin - ship it! You may have to take it apart so it goes into the country as parts instead of as a vehicle. There are challenges to registering it depending on the state but well worth it. If you give up on registering it just post it up for sale (without registration paperwork) and someone will buy it. Craigslist.org, advrider.com, klr.net, etc. Lots of folks interested in Africa Twins in he US.

If you can't take an AT then there are is a decent selection of machines like XL650Rs, KLRs, BMWs and of course KTMs depending on your budget. There are a bunch of good bikes in the US but not nearly the variety that is enjoyed in Europe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Africa Twins are quite hard to find in the US. TransAlps are a bit easier but they were only officially imported into the US in 1989 and 1990. I had a Moonstone (tan) 1990 model when I lived in Colorado. Yes, the Africa Alp is a popular way to go but takes some time to build one.
If you've got an Africa Twin - ship it! You may have to take it apart so it goes into the country as parts instead of as a vehicle. There are challenges to registering it depending on the state but well worth it. If you give up on registering it just post it up for sale (without registration paperwork) and someone will buy it. Craigslist.org, advrider.com, klr.net, etc. Lots of folks interested in Africa Twins in he US.

If you can't take an AT then there are is a decent selection of machines like XL650Rs, KLRs, BMWs and of course KTMs depending on your budget. There are a bunch of good bikes in the US but not nearly the variety that is enjoyed in Europe.
Agree on that. Im originally from Europe and still thinking about bringing the AT over the pond. The easiest way would be to pull the bike appart and shipp it's components separatelly. Crate the frame , engine , plastic pannels etc. Make sure that you have all the documentation about each and every part you ship. Put the bike together and register it as a kit bike.Kind of like a custom chopper. If you too lazy to deal with local DMV then just pm me i will give you the website of the agency that does that.Good luck !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts