Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here replaced their steering head bearings? If so...how did you remove the bearing 'race' that is on the lower yoke? This thing...

The internet suggests

- using a chisel
- using an angle grinder
- using a dremel
- using two screwdrivers
- using some sort of special tool

so...how did you do it (if it's stuck on pretty tight)

(The bike is a Transalp 650, but the principal/technique is the same for most bikes)

1.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used both chisel and grinder. Careful with the grinder cutting a portion of the race not the whole thing will give you a bit of space so you can get some purchase on it....

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
this job is turning into a right pain in the arse

another question. there doesn't seem to be anyway to "knock" the headstock races out. there is no "lip". there is a seamless join between the race and the headstock.

how am i supposed to get them out? cut them using a dremel?

the red arrows indicate the "join" between the (black) frame headstock and the (silver) race

i have the same problem with the race at the top end of the headstock too

any ideas?

2.jpg

1.jpg i have the same problem with the race at the top end of the headstock too

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bottom one was easy. I used an old fitters trick, disconnect the battery then strike an arc on it with a stick welder, it fell out. Not sure how I got the top one, but I cut 3 grooves in each of the collars so I could get at them next time. Strike an arc on the top one too, as I still remember the front one falling out after I struck an arc on it, the top one should be fairly loose after you strike the arc.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
errr, strike an arc? i have no idea what that is. i don't have a welder or anything like that

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the same problem on 700, Honda has not made it any easier on latter models. I would try and punch/cut through 2 points on that "skirting" and then push the races out that way. Last summer it took me 2 days to do that job, maybe you remember I reach out to you to ask you do you have some special tools for the job. I must of ruined 4 screwdrivers doing it

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why is nothing ever simple?

i think i am going to have to buy a dremel and cut then races off

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oops! I'm not much of a welder but I do own one. Do you know anyone who does? Ice on the race and heat on the outside of the steering head tube might work, though not easy to achieve.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, i have seen that tool, i just cant see how it would work as there is no "lip" for it to push onto to force out the race

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought the same, it took a couple of goes but did get the job done. I was working with a bare frame though so could flip it upside down etc

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mmm.. standby for the ebay advert "650 transalp for sale, broken headstock, with MOT" etc

·
Registered
826 Posts
A few years back my head bearings went on the 22/23rd Dec! and I needed to use the bike over the hols. Normally I'd crack on with this job myself but thankfully my local workshop was able to do it that day for £100 (I supplied the bearings).

If you're installing tapered bearings then be aware the torque settings are different to normal.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've just tried getting the tip of a screwdriver between the race and where it meets the headstock and its impossible. it will just end up with me mashing the headstock up, so i will have to dremel the races out

this job is easily the worst i have ever had to do on a bike

·
Registered
189 Posts
why is nothing ever simple?

i think i am going to have to buy a dremel and cut then races off
These things are sent to try us what would life be without a bit of toil and stress :-D:-D

Re. headstock very similar to BM airhead I tacked/welded a big heavy penny type washer into the radius where the balls run the races then drift out a piece of cake, re. the bottom race on the stem a 4'' angle grinder with a cutting disc in it (yes I know you should not use a cutting disc to grind with :) ) very very carefully and when it got thin enough and because it was a tight interference fit on the stem it cracked with the slightest tap.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've just tried getting the tip of a screwdriver between the race and where it meets the headstock and its impossible. it will just end up with me mashing the headstock up, so i will have to dremel the races out

this job is easily the worst i have ever had to do on a bike
Forget the screwdriver you will knacker everything up you need to grind it, re. the outer races in the headstock the first time I ever did one (BMW)I hired the tool to pull them out the tool was already damaged because there is not a lot of lip to get hold of so basically it was crap and I made my mind up then I would not use it again and simply find an alternative.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i've ordered a dremel so i will give that a go

if no success i am setting fire to the bike and pushing it off a bridge

1 - 20 of 72 Posts