Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here replaced their steering head bearings? If so...how did you remove the bearing 'race' that is on the lower yoke? This thing...

The internet suggests

- using a chisel
- using an angle grinder
- using a dremel
- using two screwdrivers
- using some sort of special tool

so...how did you do it (if it's stuck on pretty tight)

(The bike is a Transalp 650, but the principal/technique is the same for most bikes)

138565d1571240665-steering-bearing-replacement-advice-needed-1.jpg

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
this job is turning into a right pain in the arse

another question. there doesn't seem to be anyway to "knock" the headstock races out. there is no "lip". there is a seamless join between the race and the headstock.

how am i supposed to get them out? cut them using a dremel?

the red arrows indicate the "join" between the (black) frame headstock and the (silver) race

i have the same problem with the race at the top end of the headstock too

any ideas?

2.jpg

1.jpg
i have the same problem with the race at the top end of the headstock too

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did mine a few months ago I did them as follows

For the stem I used a cutting disc on a grinder and cut it at 45 degrees on opposite sides being careful not to go all the way through, then heated with a gas blow torch the hit it with a cold chisel, make sure you wear safety glasses as it shatters into pieces

For the ones in the head stock I used a long screw driver and give them a good old whack working my way around the edge to get them out in line it takes some doing but they will come out

For re fitting I put the stem ones in the freezer and the pretty much slid in, make sure you give the stock tube a good clean and remove any rust, a small bit of light grease helps

For the one on the stem tube I put the stem in the freezer and the bush in the oven, they again pretty much slid on

Not an easy job but you can do it with a bit of time and patience

Good luck

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks. i am wary of hitting the headstock with anything in case it gets damaged and the new race doesn't sit correctly

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that would not work as there is no "lip" or anything that sits proud

·
Registered
12 Posts
The most foolproof way of removing an outer bearing race when you cannot get behind it is with a welder. I have removed hundreds by running a weld bead around the roller or ball track and letting it cool down. When the weld cools it contracts causing the race to shrink. In most cases the race falls out of its housing on its own. In really stubborn cases I may have to weld a bit of scrap metal across the race to punch it out.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds good., but i don't have a welder, and i don't know how to weld

all i have is a soldering iron, which isn't much use

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you can get the bike / parts across to West Yorkshire I have a fabrication workshop where I will be able to remove, re fit etc any bearings you may need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi there,

I have done this job twice, for both my bikes.

First, have a look at the video on YouTube from Del Boy's garage on the topic. Very well made.

He uses a set of screwdrivers starting from a small one to create the gap. That is the theory.

The first time I could not do it, I brought to my mechanic the stem and he told me he did not use any fancy tool but heat to sort out.

So, the second time I used the procedure above, with the addition of a Blow torch to keep the area hot.

It worked.

Cheers
GC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts