Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced both the top and bottom steering bearings on their TA 650? My one will fail the MOT evidently, so looking to replace them myself. Looks fairly straight forward. Are there any major problems with the job. Be great to hear from someone who has already done this.
Regards
Pete

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The basics are easy enough but removing the outer races left in the headstock can be tricky as there is virtually no lip to get a drift onto......
The bottom inner race will probably need grinding off, oh make sure you have a new bottom dust seal as it'll get wrecked.

The full kit from Honda isn't badly priced.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered them from DS. They said that the top and bottom bearings and dust covers are the same, are they right?
The basics are easy enough but removing the outer races left in the headstock can be tricky as there is virtually no lip to get a drift onto......
The bottom inner race will probably need grinding off, oh make sure you have a new bottom dust seal as it'll get wrecked.

The full kit from Honda isn't badly priced.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Don't tell anyone, but I dremmelled most of the way through the outer races and then drifted them out after I dremmelled a tiny bit of the lip away at 180 degrees to each other.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to use a Dremmel with a small metal cutting disc, and cut through the outer race, taking care not to cut into the housing. Then the race would come out easy. Any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think if you use a cutting disc for the outer race there's more risk of cutting into the headstock without cutting through enough of the outer race to make a difference.

I changed mine a few weeks ago (for taper roller bearings - not the old-fashioned ball races that Honda fitted) and I used a grinding attachment on the Dremel to go through most of the bottom outer race in one place. It also took a half-moon chunk out of the 'seat' in the headstock which'll make changing it easier next time. Once weakened in that way it's easy to drive out from above. The lower inner race I used an angle grinder to reduce down to a thin section in one place, then a cold chisel to crack it - then it just lifts off. The top outer race was surprisingly easy to drive out from below.

Yes, top and bottom bearings and seals are the same. Make sure you pack LOADS of grease into them. You can wipe off any excess once everything's back together but if you don't put enough in, it's much less easy to put that right later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts