Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new set of steering bearings for my AT RD07. Before I start disassemble, I just wounder if the bearings are different in size? (diamter) The ones I got in my mailbox today are, and it looks abit weird.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
They should be the same size, I warm the bottom bearing in the oven to help it expand over the shoulder on the bottom of the shaft.

·
where next?
508 Posts
Hi Lonelybiker and welcome to the best Africa Twin resource on the net. Could you describe what you mean by 'weird'? Do they look like they will not fit? Which bearings did you buy in the end (I followed your thread on Horizons and it was me who recommended you come over here for advice)? If you can post pictures they are always helpful.

Dylan

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I know that the genuine Honda ballbearings and races are both the same type and size top and bottom. Not fitted tapered aftermarket types to an AT. I know on other bikes I have done the bottom race/bearing is usually bigger than the top set.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Both the taper roller bearings and, as Yen says, the OE ball races are the same size. The part number for the RD04 and RD07 are the same from memory (also apparently fits some years of the Dominator) so chances are you have the right ones...

I can now do this job in a little over an hour - the key is access to a dremel and a sutable peice of tube to drive the new bottom race on. Make sure you have a replacement bottom seal for that, as the original will not be useable after you've removed the race.

·
where next?
508 Posts
the key is access to...a sutable peice of tube to drive the new bottom race on.

For this, I sawed up a rusty old Halfords Apollo mountain bike which had the correct diameter tube. Everybody has a rusty Halfords bike in their garage right?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here some pic`s from when i changed.

I ordered tapered from wemoto to replace the ball bearings.

The plastic between the lower bearing was almost totally gone!

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Ordered a set from CMSnl.com steering bearing set honda SSH903R. one of the bearing was the correct size, but the second one was way to big. Ordered a new set from Wemoto today. Thanks guys.

Great forum by the way :thumbright:
This happened to me also as few years ago, when I got new tapered bearings from David Silver. They were 2 different sizes, and I believe it was the bottom one that didn't fit ... I contacted DS, but they refused to send me a new one, so my mechanic had to source a local crap bearing. Now, about 2 years after, the bearing is shot again. Thank you, David Silver!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts