Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well have changed the head bearings on my Vara1000 couple weeks ago, all went well, tightend them up, 'jobs a good'un' as they say

well they have started working loose, i can feel a slight play in the bars when going over pot holes etc.

now what is the best way to prevent them coming loose in the future? Would thread-lock be ok to use ??!!!??

any input would be great! :grin:

thanks

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
From what I´ve read they do settle a little after you change them. It´s recommended to check/tighten them again after 500ish miles.

Don´t use threadlock!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
well have changed the head bearings on my Vara1000 couple weeks ago, all went well, tightend them up, 'jobs a good'un' as they say

well they have started working loose, i can feel a slight play in the bars when going over pot holes etc.

now what is the best way to prevent them coming loose in the future? Would thread-lock be ok to use ??!!!??

any input would be great! :grin:

thanks
they do need to bed in just make sure you've tightened the stem nut up properly after you've adjusted them

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi,

I had the same problem on my old VFR800 so I took the bike to a mate of mine and he just loosened the top nut and top triple clamp lifted the top clamp up ever so slightly then chapped the castellated nut round with a round punch till he got the free play removed from the bearing/stem unit then tightened all of them back up to the correct torque. Took him all of 15 minutes but he did say they can sometimes need two or more repetitions to get them properly settled.

Ian.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts