1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okey, do I have the route right?

Piazza Europa, Bardonecchia TO, Italien till Okänd väg - Google Maps

Start at
"A" Piazza EuropaIt's forbidden to drive past "D" between 09:00 - 17:00, Fridays-Sundays, from 1/6 to 30/9 but it's okay during the Stella.

Camping at "C"

Google roads ends at "B" but I guess one has to follow the gravel roads to Lago Somellier and then keep on towards the summit?

And this years date is (as usual) the 8'th of July? Edit: Second Sunday in July would be the right date.

/Kjell

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Normally second Sunday of the month so I am hoping it is the 14th July or we have made a major cock up!! You are right about the camping spot and if you can get to the summit of the mountain beyond B I,ll enjoy watching! The Tarmac stops at Rochemolles. You can also camp near the big Resevoir if you want a bit of peace.

·
Hill Rider
3,094 Posts
Kjell,

The Stella is on the 2nd Sunday in July - the 14th, not the 8th. This I have gleaned from viewing a few web sites . . . . and it's wot AfricaJim told me, so it must be right :D

Steve T

:cool:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Are you planning on going Kjell? it would be good to meet up with you :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you planning on going Kjell? it would be good to meet up with you :thumbright:
Yes I might and Yes, that would be really great!

I must put some good use on that fancy pancy bike of mine!

The Stella is one of things I'm thinking about for this season.

/Kjell

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Be good to meet if you do decide Kjell, I'll keep an eye out for posts regarding meeting up. Fiona and myself will be there along with a few others off here.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Be great if you make it Kjell ! :thumbup::thumbup:

Cabby probably can't make it with me this time. So I'm taking a truck up to the refuge and camping there for a few days on my own, and I'll ride about exploring the area for a bit on the bike. :smile:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a concern (or two).

Is the camping free?

Are there any WC about?

Or do I have to poop back to town?
(That was funny yes? I think I'm getting the hanging of your british humor now, right?)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yep. Camping is free but cold on brokeback mountain.
Does a bear poo in the woods? Yes you fend for yourself.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
We look forward to seeing you there :thumb:

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
God I need to change job!

last year they refused to let me have the 14th July off to attend a family meeting to decide how to organise life around my brother in law (suffering from Locked in Syndrome) so the chances of getting time off for a bike rally are about as likely as a very unlikely thing! :rolleyes: I would SO much like to be able to do the Stella one day.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'd definately be looking for another job mate. Too much stuff in life passes us by, once we're too old to enjoy we turn back and say "if only", well better to say to hell with this and enjoy life! You'll be a long time dead mate, but life is for the living!

See you at the Stella some day! ;)

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
yup, that is the conclusion I've come to. If it wasn't for the Kids I'd have dumped it a while back, but as a responsable parent I just need to find some other source of income before pushing my present boss into the canal to be run down by one of his own stupid barges!

I'll let you know the first chance I get to do the Stella.

Anybody riding down or back is welcome to drop in on the way past by the way. Can't provide accommadation at the mo but the kettles always on & I can probably arrange to have not drunk all the beer in the fridge...:thumbup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
aint been about lately...had a bad winter where everything went wrong etc but now back in the land of frogs for my summer job.
but count me in too.....:D
wont be drinking as much as last year neither....:rolleyes:
personally i reckon someone spiked the olives........:blob8:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
aint been about lately...had a bad winter where everything went wrong etc but now back in the land of frogs for my summer job.
we all say that every year! Took some bottles up the mountain a few years ago only to find a mini swimming pool in my topbox after they all exploded!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Kev
I heard things weren't great recently - glad you're back in France away from hassle. You really did pack away the bevvy last Stella! And THEN went above the snowline next day! I was camping next to you and we had a chat with those French bikers who fed us I think.

I may catch you there this year on the way back from Bulgaria but I have no idea my times. .

Keep calm and carry on - it'll all sort out in time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
no worries dosser hope to see you there...
when i finish here in middle of september i'll nipping over to bulgaria and romania for 2wks so keeps any tips in mind for me.. see you soon and take care

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kev - I'll absolutely keep you in mind re: BG etc. Who knows I might even be able to offer you a base, though this might be too soon a comment.

In the meantime you can email me at XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and then I'll give you my real email address(you had it once, re: headlights in Bexley). Sorry about all this bollocks - those faacking spammers are a curse. I'll give you what's what if you email.

The main thing is - dont let the crap get you down. 'This too will pass'. You're doing fine.

(PS -took off email address as it was there a while and I didnt want grief! If you read this ask and I'll give it again...)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts