Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may have been discussed already, but no harm in saying that the STELLA ALPINA is on the second weekend in July.....:thumbup:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
That's such a good event - went there on my AT some years ago - no snow all the way to the lake at give top so an easy if not tricky ride up with spectacular scenery - then for the adventurous the blast in the snow to the very peak.

·
Registered
352 Posts
this is looking good for me...:D
my work is usually done by 7am fri mornings...
just turn up jobbie? anyone going?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thinking about it and waiting on a couple of other replies. If something looks up I'll write again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be going to the Alpina, first visit.

I don't know where people camp, but I'll look for a freebie campsite, and outside my tent I'll put up a tent pole with a white triangular pennant on it. My bike is an AT, silver, French number plate.

If anyone is around leave a note around the tent to say where you're camping. If I don't see you, have a great time!

·
Registered
352 Posts
i too will be free camping mr beeza...if you see a scruffy red/whit/blue africatwinits mine:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roll up, Kev. Your bike isn't so scruffy BTW. There is a campsite called Bokki but I prefer a freebie and anyway those riders that organise and book things early will have filled it up. I may go in there to use the services of course. ;)

I believe that there is a track up to where they give out Tshirts and people camp round there so I'll give that a go. Is yours a French or Brit reg?

I may attach some Tibetan prayer flags to the pennant in the hope of bringing on some good karma.....

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Roll up, Kev. Your bike isn't so scruffy BTW. There is a campsite called Bokki but I prefer a freebie and anyway those riders that organise and book things early will have filled it up. I may go in there to use the services of course. ;)

I believe that there is a track up to where they give out Tshirts and people camp round there so I'll give that a go. Is yours a French or Brit reg?

I may attach some Tibetan prayer flags to the pennant in the hope of bringing on some good karma.....

Add an extra Tibetan flag for me please, as I'll hopefully be there along with Jeff Kirby and Grooverider (Paul), that assuming the bike I intend to go on is registered by then, and makes it the distance, as it's only done 4 miles in the last 8 years!!!

See you there hopefully!!!

:toothy10:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Bokki costs 18 euros for you and your tent if you want that; I don't.

Another source says there's camping "halfway up the mountain". that'll do nicely, Silvio.

That reminds me - what does FIAT mean? Fix It Again Tony.
Lotus? Lots of trouble, usually serious.
BMW? Bring meer werkzeug... (Bring me tools)
BSA Best sh*t available
Joe Lucas - Prince of Darkness.

Tunnel de Frejus costs 26 one way and 33 return. So I wont be going through the tunnel, but over the Alps from Briançon. Nicer views too.

·
Registered
352 Posts
where you riding from beeza?
i'll be riding up from aups in the var,riez,digne,briancon,Bardonecchia.
my bike is british registered but it does't look it.......bit of jugglling....;)
when you heading up there friday or saturday?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Fiona and myself will be arriving in Bardonecchia on Saturday, we usually camp at camping Bokki but there's a lot from the ABR forum going this yr and have pre-booked so we might go up the mountain, we'll see! (I'll bring me spade and bog roll!) LOL!

We usually head over by Val D'esere but I'm thinking about a change of route and heading east to the Stelvio pass as Fiona's never done it.

We're running a G650GS and a VFR1200X Crosstourer, might see you there folks.

·
Geriatric Teenager
101 Posts
I,m off to the Med via the Route des Alps and 30+ Cols on July 1st, and planning to do the Stella on the way back, plus hopefully Jaffrau, Colle delle Finestre, and the lanes north of Sestriere.
Don't wish to be antisocial but I can't hack it with the camping . At my age its a warm dry bed and a hot shower all the way.
Nevertheless, it would be nice to bump into a few of you (metaphoricall speaking) in and around Bardoneccia/Briancon for a glass of vin ordinaire (or its Italian translation), and more importantly, for some help picking the bike up when (not if, I am sure) the handlebars turn vertical.
Whats the equivalent of "meet you at tea time under the clock at Waterloo" in Bardoneccia?
Bimbler
Blue 07 Transalp

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where you riding from beeza?
i'll be riding up from aups in the var,riez,digne,briancon,Bardonecchia.
my bike is british registered but it does't look it.......bit of jugglling....;)
when you heading up there friday or saturday?
I want to get there Friday if poss.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Camping up the mountain by the waterfall is great fun but chilly at night and can be noisy if you like to sleep coz there are noramlly a lot of tents up there. Plenty of other areas to camp. Go up the next set of hairpins onto a higher plateau if the weather is good. Also when you cross the wooden bridge past the resevoir turn left and camp near it. This is a quieter area and before the waterfall area. You'll love it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Camping up the mountain by the waterfall is great fun but chilly at night and can be noisy if you like to sleep coz there are noramlly a lot of tents up there. Plenty of other areas to camp. Go up the next set of hairpins onto a higher plateau if the weather is good. Also when you cross the wooden bridge past the resevoir turn left and camp near it. This is a quieter area and before the waterfall area. You'll love it!
Many thanks Barf.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well hopefully the weather will improve and we get the opportunity to meet a few XRV'rs once we arrive (no idea how to make contact, look out for the smartest looking bikes I suppose). We're taking a slow jaunt down via Luxemberg and the French border, then around the tip of Switzerland. Fingers crossed we see you there!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems the Bokki is one fixed point where someone might go and we can take it from there. I won't use it but I will call in; a friend will come there, so .....that's where I'll start.
Don't get shafted by the Swiss for a vignette......................

·
Registered
352 Posts
well nearly there.....timewise i mean.
was hoping to head up friday but now looks like i'll be working :( if i'm finished early enough i'll crack on up there.
if not it'll be saturday morning to head up.....
hope your missing the storms that are about today jeff...

just need to pick up a tent.:)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
the train station cafe is a good place for a coffee or a beer and you catch people coming and going on bikes. Good luck on working out how to buy one!!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts