Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ridden it?

It turns out we have a friend who lives very close(in Prad) and we're planning on dropping in there on the way back from Turkey...

I have no idea which way it runs(from where to where) and which bit is the highest point:rolleyes:

Any info useful!:thumbright:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi 621andy,

I did the Stelvio the one or other time (on my own and with a pillion rider) and it left a very mixed impression.

1) I think a motorcyclist should have the stelvio on the "done-that-list"
2) From a riding point of view neither the northern nor the southern ramp is very attractive
3) The scenery is top class
4) The chaos on top (National Ski Teams preparing the next saison, cyclists trying to be Bradley Wiggins for a day, dutch car drivers ruining their clutch while trying to get their caravan over the pass and then ruining their brakes trying to get the damn thing back down, all the food stalls, ...) is not to be missed!

Base point north: Prad
Base point south: Bormio

Anything else you'll need to know is on wikipedia.

Hope this helps.

Markus

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I did it along with Hudders and half of Italy a couple of weeks ago, it seems we chose the weekend of a large italian Stelvio meet up, I couldn't really focus on enjoying the ride as there were so many other bikes around me to keep an eye on it was difficult to focus, I think there are a lot better rides through the dolomites but I've now ticked that box and XRV750 is right when he says the scenery was stunning :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Merci vielmal Markus:thumbright:

Well as we're going there anyway, it'd be rude not to tick the box
:toothy9:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Done it a number of times on a 1300 Pan European once both ways and lots of times on my XRV750 - this I'd the best bike to do it on - easy as long as you take it steady climbing the hairpins and watch out for the caravans and buses!

There is an off road pass next to it as well - great ride and I did that on the Pan!!!! By mistake but nice shingle surface. Forgotten its name.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does the AT cope with the altitude? My bike's not happy here at 1100m...but the 40 deg C heat probably doesn't help:rolleyes:

Hmm, off road too..
:thumbright:

..and presumably there's a shop at the top to buy the been there, done that, sticker?
;)

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
The altitude does affect the AT but it's still ok except on the descents where I find mine pops and bangs on the overrun - its no big deal.

The road is fine all the way and oh yes are there some souvenir shops on top. There is even a Tibetan Restaurant.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343194885.935723.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343195116.081982.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343195171.398443.jpg

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find mine pops and bangs on the overrun
Mine does that all the time anyway:D

Think I'll give the Tibetan restaurant a miss though;)

Great pics too:thumbright: That one bottom left'd make a good calendar pic!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Done it a number of times on a 1300 Pan European once both ways and lots of times on my XRV750 - this I'd the best bike to do it on - easy as long as you take it steady climbing the hairpins and watch out for the caravans and buses!

There is an off road pass next to it as well - great ride and I did that on the Pan!!!! By mistake but nice shingle surface. Forgotten its name.
The only off road pass next to it that comes to my mind is the Umbrail. But it isn't actually a pass because the Umbrail starts in the Swiss Münstertal and enters the Stelvio Road on the southern ramp some km's below the Stelvio summit. Furthermore the Umbrail only offers some gravel patches most of the road is sealed.

What I heard is that the area of Lago di Fraele, Lago di Cancano and Lago di San Giacomo (all of them only a few km's from Bormio) have some gravel roads to offer.

Cheers
Markus

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
That's the one the Umbrail - I did it by mistake from the bottom up on a 1300 Pan laden that I didn't want to drop! Every year since I have been on the AT and enjoyed it far more.

I stand corrected about the surface - yes it was largely sealed - it just seemed a bit gravelly on the Pan - the AT would not even notice it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts