Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Space Emperor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

When I rev the bike, the idle sticks at ~2k and falls after maybe 30-60sec. Then it dips to a point where the engine feels like it will stall. I adjust the idle, and revs, and then suddenly its too high and need adjusting back down.

Here's a video of the problem:

I know this is usually a choke problem, but I have no choke. Airbox looks to be seated fine...

I just cleaned the carbs, which did wonders for the engine previously stalling, but the idle is still weird.

What to do?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you definitely got the idle circuit clean?
Used balance gauges to set the carbs for identical vacuum?
Set idle/pilot/air screw (any term is fine) to standard ball park start point? (Usually 1- 1/4 to 1-1/2 turns).
Then..adjust and get the idle mix right at or around tickover.
Your hanging 2k engine revs looks looks like an idle setting problem.
Were main jets of an appropriate value when you had them out? Are they as standard?

As long as cables are returning ok, then the hanging revs points to idle circuit. Diagnosing on a forum is never easy, so this is sort of difficult...
An air leak at the inlet rubbers can do this... so there's alot that needs looking at.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TJE

·
Space Emperor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you definitely got the idle circuit clean?
Used balance gauges to set the carbs for identical vacuum?
Set idle/pilot/air screw (any term is fine) to standard ball park start point? (Usually 1- 1/4 to 1-1/2 turns).
Then..adjust and get the idle mix right at or around tickover.
Your hanging 2k engine revs looks looks like an idle setting problem.
Were main jets of an appropriate value when you had them out? Are they as standard?

As long as cables are returning ok, then the hanging revs points to idle circuit. Diagnosing on a forum is never easy, so this is sort of difficult...
An air leak at the inlet rubbers can do this... so there's alot that needs looking at.

Thanks, Bardley! I just had the carbs off for cleaning, but I forgot to undo the idle mix screws and clean them. GRRRRRR!!! Is there any way to undo the screws and use some carbcleaner into the holes, while the carbs are on the bike?

I will take off the airbox again and make sure it's well seated. So easy to pinch the rubber edge. Can only tell by the wrinkles when it comes off. Schrödinger's inlet ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you manage to solve this? im having the exact same issue after installing a replacement set of carbs

·
Space Emperor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you manage to solve this? im having the exact same issue after installing a replacement set of carbs
Not yet, mate. Will be going at it tomorrow. Will update

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, Bardley! I just had the carbs off for cleaning, but I forgot to undo the idle mix screws and clean them. GRRRRRR!!! Is there any way to undo the screws and use some carbcleaner into the holes, while the carbs are on the bike?

I will take off the airbox again and make sure it's well seated. So easy to pinch the rubber edge. Can only tell by the wrinkles when it comes off. Schrödinger's inlet ...
Did you actually take the carbs apart, or clean the outside?
The jets with the small holes are what you need to get into and check.
Float needle, seat, floats, float level, main jet, pilot etc all need cleaning properly. Check vent tubes too incl. The rubber vent lines to atmos. Spiders will clog them...

·
Registered
12 Posts
for what its worth i seemed to have fixed mine, its still happiest at about 1500rpm but doesnt hunt anymore. I pulled the carbs and noticed they had size 38 pilot jets in them. swapped them for the stock size 42's from the damaged choke carbs and seems much happier. gave all the rubbers a good tighten up too but it wasnt vac leaking before, but yea, runs nice now.

·
Space Emperor
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you actually take the carbs apart, or clean the outside?
The jets with the small holes are what you need to get into and check.
Float needle, seat, floats, float level, main jet, pilot etc all need cleaning properly. Check vent tubes too incl. The rubber vent lines to atmos. Spiders will clog them...

Haha, yes, I cleaned the carbs on the inside :D Yes, good point, I checked the vents also. All fine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts