Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to get a bit of grief everytime I put the key in the ignition barrel of the transalp (xl650).

The barrel wont turn!!

It takes numerous attempts of key in and out and faffing about to get it released - this is from the position of the steering lock being on.

It seems to turn ok when the steering lock is not on.

It started months ago, but was only very occasional.

It's obviously getting worse whatever the problem is because it's now every time I try and release the steering lock ....

... and I was a full 20 minutes outside two different hospitals today trying to get the bloody thing released.

So, is it something major gone wrong - or can I give the barrel a squirt of wd40? Am I looking at replacing the barrel?

Cheers as always in advance :thumbright:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Good to see you back, Tom! :p

Have you tried putting gentle turning pressure on the key and moving the bars from side to side? If the bike is parked on the side stand then the weight has the effect of turning the handlebars which can then trap the steering lock in the 'out' position. Move the handlebars, the locking bar is released and can retract.

It's nowt to do with the barrel because it works when the steering lock is not on. It's the locking bar that's the problem.

In any event you shouldn't put WD40 into a lock, or at least not without relubricating it afterwards with some graphite or a proprietory lubricant. But if you can get at the locking bar, a squirt of WD40 or light oil should help.

Or get used to wiggling the bars when turning the key!

(A proper expert will be along soon...)

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I wouldn't advise WD40 as it tends to go sticky with age but some light mechanical oil such as 3 in 1 wouldn't go amiss.

Some will no doubt recommend dry lubes but I'm not a fan of them in a damp environment as they can form a bit of a paste when damp.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, I can no longer get the steering lock to operate.
I have not had the weather to investigate closer but I believe the locking mechanism may be rusting in place.
WD40 on the area near the bolt might help but I am waiting for better weather.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spot on fellas.

I've just pushed the bike upright off the sidestand, and after a few seconds of jiggling the handlebars the key turned easily in the barrel.

So seems like it's the steering lock thingymy.

Now, next question - erm, er, where is it :confused: And how do I access it :confused:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The locking bar is in the steering head, if you look at the stem you can just make out the recess that it fits into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts