Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been out this morning for my 1st run of the new year, v cold but dry.

Bike is a treat to ride, (wish I'd fitted hand guards years ago now), but I noticed that the switch that alternates hi and low beam was stuck in the hi beam position, after 5 mins of fiddling about and repeatedly pressing it, it eventually came out.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem or do I just need to plaster some wd40 into the switchgear now and again, don't fancy blinding people just because i can't switch the hi beam off.

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts

Bike is a treat to ride, (wish I'd fitted hand guards years ago now), but I noticed that the switch that alternates hi and low beam was stuck in the hi beam position, after 5 mins of fiddling about and repeatedly pressing it, it eventually came out.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem or do I just need to plaster some wd40 into the switchgear now and again, don't fancy blinding people just because i can't switch the hi beam off.

The Hi/Lo switch used to stick on my AT, though I've not had it on the Vara yet. Actually, I think my indicator switch stuck once a while back too and a good squirt of WD40 into the switch sorted it right out.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
+1 for WD40 or GT85!

frees 'em up a treat!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,042 Posts
Same thing happened before xmas on my mate's Varadero. I gave him my spare AT light switch (lots of bits from my last AT you see) which he just used to replace that sticky bit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had the same thing on my Vara about 3 months ago, it eventually wouldn't allow me onlo high beam. A quick squirt of WD40 and a good wiggle around and hey presto no more probs.

Longlive the Vara!!

Paul

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

had this problem on every honda ive ever owned and a spot of WD40 does ya fine mate:cool::D

G

·
With older bikes though a sticky switch could be a sig that the contacts inside are wearing a groove in the conductive material. Always bet once you've used the WD40 ( though I tend to use a silicon spray as it provides a more better internal coating) is to try moving the switch sowly and see if there's any notchiness to it that wasn;t there previously.

Kymmy

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
a tiny bit of good quality copperslip will do better, you only need to do it once then, certainly dont need to do it every wash or anything silly like that. if you do, then your contacts are shot mate, if it gets that far then i would take the switch apart and see if things can be sorted with a tweak of the pliers to improve the pressure on the contacts, because new switchgear is quite expensive

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Squirted wd40 into the switch on saturday morning and left it to do its thing for a bit. Switch is now working like it never had a problem, I'll keep a little can of wd in my luggage just in case the problem re-appears.Magic Stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
I have the same issue with the Hi/low switch on my2001 AT.
I sprayed silicon spray and not WD40 - was that a misstake?
I really dont see it helps..
Can the piece be dismounted and inpexted (e.g remove the switch nob and clean)?
Any advice appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts