Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a question to ask you boys, when I talk to other women about motorcycling and if they tell me they like to ride pillion and love bikes I always encourage and ask why they don't take that step and learn. I gave lost count how many times the response is

"my husband/ partner says I am lethal enough in a car let alone in a bike"

I find this so frustrating. I have had nothing but encouragment from the men in my life about motorcycling so I wonder why do some of you guys do that to your ladies. Us it that you have no faith in thier skills or is it because you want to keep the joys if biking to yourselves

please don't take this the wrong way I know that the majority of the guys I have met here are supportive of thier loved ones but there are some who aren't as well so
I just wondered if anyone could shed done light on it for me

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Not guilty!!!! I have been encouraging my wife to learn to ride for years. She now has a 125 and plans to take her test this year.

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Can't help you with understanding of the negative viewpoint, sorry.

My wife is a very good driver, and I frequently tell her so. I wouldn't have a problem with her having a bike at all, or even sharing mine! She's not wanting to because of the extra training and test.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
well as you know Deb tried it but does not enjoy it enough to go through the whole test thing,she much prefers to be pillion:cool:

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
My other half scares me half to death in a car/van. She is a not so terrible a driver technically, she is just a day dreamer. She just doesn't notice what is going on around her. :( And what really irritates me is she only looks for signs when she suddenly realises she needs them and gets lost on anything bigger than a mini roundabout.

She is however a little bit more switched on on the bike because she is scared of people like her?!?!:confused: Hopefully it will eventually rub off on her car driving.:rolleyes: Until then I'll do the driving and keep my blood pressure at healthy levels!

If anyone else goes through the same then they will appreciate it is not for selfish reasons it is usually because they know and have possibly experienced the risks for longer (and probably wonder how they are still eating solids or even still here!:rolleyes:) and are not sure their other halves will fully appreciate them until they get walloped by one. I would struggle with mine getting knocked off.:( She rides but I don't like it much :( but it's still her choice.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I keep begging her to learn to ride, she won't have it. (She is happy to follow me in her car though..:rolleyes::rolleyes:)...But my 5 yrs daughter is already keen and I will make sure she will ride a bike someday....

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Two words for you sharrie

BABY BRAIN.

All those on here with more than one child will understand what I mean. If my mrs can't remember where she left the keys,what day it is,where she is or the basic facts of everyday life would she remember to do her safety checks or life savers. If she can forget what car she was in (her car or the family car)when she parked up because the key is buried somewhere in her handbag and she can't remember where she parked so doesn't know which to look for.........................it goes on and gets scarier.

1........2................3................... disgust :cussing: :angry4: :angryfire: :blob6: :violent1: :violent3:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Two words for you sharrie

BABY BRAIN.

All those on here with more than one child will understand what I mean. If my mrs can't remember where she left the keys,what day it is,where she is or the basic facts of everyday life would she remember to do her safety checks or life savers. If she can forget what car she was in (her car or the family car)when she parked up because the key is buried somewhere in her handbag and she can't remember where she parked so doesn't know which to look for.........................it goes on and gets scarier.

uh oh ---- scarper quick :D

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I've got a question to ask you boys, when I talk to other women about motorcycling and if they tell me they like to ride pillion and love bikes I always encourage and ask why they don't take that step and learn. I gave lost count how many times the response is

I find this so frustrating. I have had nothing but encouragment from the men in my life about motorcycling so I wonder why do some of you guys do that to your ladies. Us it that you have no faith in thier skills or is it because you want to keep the joys if biking to yourselves

please don't take this the wrong way I know that the majority of the guys I have met here are supportive of thier loved ones but there are some who aren't as well so
Well for me the wife does ride pillion all the time and takes the photo's when i do events she loves it all.

There's 2 reasons why she hasn't done her test:

1: She's quite short and they only thing that she can get both feet on the floor on is a low rider but she does like the VANVAN 125 and the carbed model in metallic blue Honda 600 Hornet

2: She's too tight to pay for the test!!!!!!!!

She has mentioned at the last couple of events about a teenagers bike like the sx85 small medium wheel size for learning and playing on but i'm not sure about that idea something just bugs me about the small wheel thing

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I've been trying to get Mrs Boris to learn to ride for years but she just wont have it even although there is my learner legal winter hack sitting in the garage so she can even give it a try for free. She just won't have as she likes to ride pillion just too much.

Even to advantage of no reverse gear won't sway her ;)

·
Registered
779 Posts
In the nicest way possible, there are some people that shouldn't be riding, male or female.

So although in some situations those comments might be unjustified, they may be perfectly legitimate. Guys tend to concentrate on one thing whilst women are all over the place, and when you're on a bike you want to make sure you're not about to die rather than thinking about the dinner at the same time, hence the "scary in a car" comments ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
The girl friend keeps asking but I'll keep on trying to avoid it
To my way of thinking you don't really learn to ride until you scare yourself in a couple of close calls, I just don't want her bumping into something

As for mum, she learnt to ride but i'll still put her on the back of my bike when I can,
It was the day a tractor nearly pulled out then stopped,mum said it was her right of way so why should she have slowed down.
I know I'd of been on the brakes, just to be sure.

One of my bike instructors was a girl, I think her story went: she wanted to ride bikes but her husband said no, so she waited till the kids had all moved out, left her husband and is now a motorcycle instructor on the road and on the track
Or so she said

Anyway I think what it comes down to is us looking after our favourite girl's

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think it comes down to the fact that males have a one track mind so when riding a bike are thinking of that only.
Women are good at multitasking so are always thinking of more than one thing and therefore can quite easily become distracted.
Great for when out with the family shuffling who wants what, but dangerous when operating a motor vehicle.

·
White van man
560 Posts
My missus and i have been together for five years, she has allways liked bikes and loves riding pillion.

Last May was her fiftieth birthday, she said she would like to be a biker by then.

Bought a 125 which she learned to ride on our drive, passed CBT and was road legal by her birthday, with my encouragement.

She is a good driver and has taken to bike riding with enthusiam and shows good skills. Looking to do full test this spring.

This has opened up our leisure time in different ways and now tops our list of pursuits.

But.......... I still like to get out with lads, she understands and is fine with it.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

There are scientific reasons why men are better than women at certain things and also why women are better than men at other things. The part of the brain that has developed in men for hunting ect, like spatial awareness helps tremendously when applied to modern life such as driving vehicles. It helps us judge gaps and gauge speed better and things like that.

Also, and this is regards to the constant negative comments from men, men like to be dominant, it’s in our nature to be so. Even when groups of men are together one will still try to be the dominant male in that group. It’s just how we are programmed I’m afraid so to keep the little lady in her place (no offence meant by the way) is a way of staying dominant and saying I’m the man so I’ll deal with the important stuff, again, it’s just how we are programmed to behave.

There are of course exceptions, look at Vicky Butler-Henderson who drives everything from cars to trucks, and races them, and of course the likes of Patsy Quick who did the Dakar, and finished I believe. So maybe it’s just that you are one of the lucky ones Sharrie and have good spatial awareness and others are not so lucky.

So (and to make sure I’m in your good books with Wales coming up) don’t be too hard on the other lasses Sharrie as they are obviously not as evolved as you are so won’t be able to ride like you can, remember, your special. :thumbup:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
i had to really almost bully Jenny to get through her car test - she failed twice so i insured my car and tried to teach her, - after she tried to kill me by driving into a petrol pump i nearly found religion so i paid some poor bloke from BSM for another 10 lessons and she eventually passed. she isnt a bad driver but has no real enthusiasum, doesnt understand what half the buttons and signs/lights in the car are for (its only a sodding smart car). she also (thankfully) has no interest in bikes, shes quite happy to go pillion with me though. the only time she rode a powered 2 wheeler was a 50cc moped i had which she drove straight into a wall......male or female - some people just shouldnt be encouraged.....

·
Posh Bird
562 Posts
Oh I can't let this one go by without commenting..... :angryfire:

I have come across a lot of completely terrible male drivers who are all over the place and scare me sh****ss, I won't get into a car with my dad driving, but his wife is safe as houses and all the women in my family are great drivers.

I think that a lot of women are subtley convinced by society at large (very often men though also by other women who have learned to believe the same) that they're not capable and shouldn't try risky things. I mean you just have to read some of the comments in this thread to see it, and most of it is unconscious conditioning.

I think that a lot of men (maybe without realising it) need to feel the extra manliness that they get from being the "strong capable ones" and women collude with this playing their part in the "play". I know I've done it.

And I also get that men want to spend time just hanging out with men, and sometimes I just want to hang out with men too!!! :D That's why I learnt to ride a bike - just kidding....:)

Ok steam has been blown off....

And I found I had to really want to learn to ride a bike so badly that when I was terrified and kept thinking "one mistake and I'm dead" I wanted it so much that I was able to get through the fear.
And one last point, I found that when I told people I was learning to ride a bike, so many people tried to scare me off it with horror stories, it's not surprising women get put off.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts