Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadly not a post I thought I'd ever have to write..

***Stolen***
Corporation Street, Stafford, Uk
Some kind souls have decided to relieve me of my '89 transalp (reg: K826DDC) (late import).
Most likely happened the night of Tuesday 13th March / morning of Wednesday 14th but could have been earlier as i have been away for a week.
Was in a locked garage and fitted with a disk lock so most likely carried away into a vehicle as there is no evidence and noone heard anything.
If everyone could keep an eye out and let me know if they hear/see anything that will be much appreciated.
Cheers, Glenn

20171211_131832.jpg

·
Administrator
1,776 Posts
Sorry to hear that! Unfortunately, happens too often nowadays - it sounds as though your bike was targetted and your absence known in advance.
Let's hope someone spots it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sadly not a post I thought I'd ever have to write..

***Stolen***
Corporation Street, Stafford, Uk
Some kind souls have decided to relieve me of my '89 transalp (reg: K826DDC) (late import).
Most likely happened the night of Tuesday 13th March / morning of Wednesday 14th but could have been earlier as i have been away for a week.
Was in a locked garage and fitted with a disk lock so most likely carried away into a vehicle as there is no evidence and noone heard anything.
If everyone could keep an eye out and let me know if they hear/see anything that will be much appreciated.
Cheers, Glenn

View attachment 132458
Really sorry to hear of yet another bike theft. I reckon our old TAs and similar are being broken for parts rather than sold as complete bikes. Anyone who buys a frame or engine from fleabay/gumtree/schpock/etc. should ask for photographic evidence of the serial numbers or a copy of the log book....it's not difficult in this day and age of smart 'phones and email...any dealer/seller unwilling to do so should be avoided and investigated by the Police.
I'll keep my eyes peeled....

I f*cking hate thieves

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Here in London a few months ago, someone tried to steal my TA 600 (using bolt croppers) that was chained to a lampost, at 2am, and it was covered. luckily my neighbours chased them off.

i think most TA 600s are stolen just for "kids" to tear around on, then dump. i don't think they are worth much for parts alone, plus it's an arse-ache to disamantle an old bike.

Or they are being stolen en-masse and shipped to Europe. I read on another forum that a shipping container at Felixstowe was opened and it contained a load of bikes, bound for Eastern Europe

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/have-million-missing-motorcycles-gone/

quote:

T
hat said, even some of our old, DVLA-issued V5 registration documents, the style and security of which has long since been changed, have appeared in the possession of couriers stopped in the Czech Republic, Moldova, Turkey and Ukraine with vans full of old machines.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There was a documentary on BBC the other week about 'moped gangs' in London. The complete lack of empathy and disregard these criminals have for others is disturbing. They seemed to think they were somehow justified in mugging and stealing as they'd struggled to find legitimate work. Some went as far as to say their victims 'deserved it' for 'being so stupid' to walk around with their mobile 'phone, handbag, etc. on display..

There comes a time when a scaff bar round the head is the only option...in self defence, naturally ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have updated this long ago.

Within a week of posting this I saw recognisable parts for sale on ebay at a breakers 20 miles away.
I contacted the police (Staffordshire), after spending an hour or 2 talking the officer through unique identifiers that included the date code on the rear rim, chip in the paint on the front mudguard and 1 or 2 others.

The officer was keen to pay the chap a visit, they matched the engine number to that of mine and told him not to sell any more parts - sadly my drum rear found its way to Italy, never to be seen again.

I took all the parts that were there along with some recompense from the breaker.

The guys story was that he was approached by what appeared to be a genuine bloke selling my bike as Stolen recovered, which he took at face value, without V5.

His story doesn't quite add up, but I don't believe the police found any other stolen bikes with him.

He may well be a genuine chap, or this could be the first time he's taken a stolen bike or even just the first time he's been caught.
I will not name him at this time, but will certainly make my voice known if he is found to have dealt with stolen bikes again.

If anything is to take away from this.
Make sure you take plenty of pictures of your bikes - I'd of been lost without these.

If you find yourself missing a bike - put notified searches on ebay and look elsewhere for parts. The only reason I found mine was because my ebay app alerted me to a large number of transalp xl600v parts for sale.

This is sadly what I'm left with, I have plans for these though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how did the frame get cut?
That was their method of disassembly, plus the fact it was "stolen recovered " meant the frame could never go back on the road - it had to be destroyed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts