Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
That's how I used to do it but my sight has got so bad I can't read a map without putting reading glasses over the top of my lenses. I've also tried these multifocal contacts but I can't get on with them. Everything is out of focus with them.

On reflection daily contacts and a cheap pair of readers may be the best bet but I really think (and hope) there are some spectacles out there that can fix my close and distance sight and not steam up when I start puffing and panting.
There's things they can do with contact lenses like putting a lens in one eye that allows you to read with that eye but still see well at distances with the other. I tried that but it didn't work for me though.

I flip front or an open face, or even a full face with a very roomy chin bar will keep your breath away from glasses.

But, as for the ideal solution - specs that are permanently fog free. I don't think they exist but whoever invents them will make a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
You young whippersnappers!

Too much technology instead of grannies remedies.

Take one spud, cut a slice and rub the inside against the inside of glasses and visor for fog free riding!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You young whippersnappers!

Too much technology instead of grannies remedies.

Take one spud, cut a slice and rub the inside against the inside of glasses and visor for fog free riding!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tried all these and some snake oil. They work well for a while but inevitibly at some point my specs get water on them and I have to dry them and from that point on they steam up like mad.

Hi Boris, What type of Helmet/Visor setup are you using?
Standard road helmet. I could get an offroad helmet for the closer to home stuff but I hate them at speed and I don't have the space to bring 2 lids with me. Open face is a non starter as I face planted last week and going by the state of the visor and chin bar had I had an open face on I would be wearing my nose all over my face.

·
The psych with the bike
225 Posts
Eagle 6. What type of spud you using?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Reflecting on your recent "Face Plant" I guess this won't be much use, but after many years commuting and having to wear bi-focals the only way for me was (is) an open face helmet with a Bob Heath Flip Visor, still needs spud or wash-up liquid when it's really very cold.--Roll On Summer!!
Does anyone know if Laser Surgery can "cure" the need for both reading and distance correction.
Perhaps I should have asked that sort of question before I had Cataract Surgery last Nov.--which was a really brilliant!! experience.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Gary Ackackflack is our optician in residence. But I think he is on holiday or something. I would have thought for something as serious as laser surgery you really do need to speak one of the clinics and be seen. The hyperbole would have it that they can fix anything.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I use a respro foggy mask. No problems :)

Took me a little while to get it positioned correctly tho, and can be a bit of hassle with the autocom mic, but it's so worth it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Reflecting on your recent "Face Plant" I guess this won't be much use, but after many years commuting and having to wear bi-focals the only way for me was (is) an open face helmet with a Bob Heath Flip Visor, still needs spud or wash-up liquid when it's really very cold.--Roll On Summer!!
Does anyone know if Laser Surgery can "cure" the need for both reading and distance correction.
Perhaps I should have asked that sort of question before I had Cataract Surgery last Nov.--which was a really brilliant!! experience.
I had lazer about a fortnight before the longest day five capitols ride. I am absolutly delighted with the results.
There are various options including forming one eye for driving and one for reading. Apparantly your brain works out how to deal with the difference.
I needed bi focal glasses and opted for driving / distance correction and just using cheap readers as needed. Works fine for me.

No more faffing with glasses taking your helmet on and off.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
I use a respro foggy mask. No problems :)

Took me a little while to get it positioned correctly tho, and can be a bit of hassle with the autocom mic, but it's so worth it.

I've tried a Respro foggy mask but found that it made no difference at all, I'm going to try it again but this time I'm going to remove the chin curtain from the helmet in the hope that the warm air from my face holes has an easier path out from the inside of the helmet. (Helmet is a Shoei Hornet BTW)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've tried a Respro foggy mask but found that it made no difference at all, I'm going to try it again but this time I'm going to remove the chin curtain from the helmet in the hope that the warm air from my face holes has an easier path out from the inside of the helmet. (Helmet is a Shoei Hornet BTW)
I've used one on the road to good effect on my Shoei XR800 and Interceptor but with the XR1100 it was less effective I think in part due to the chin curtain in the xr1100. As I say I don't have a problem on the road as it clears quick enough. It's off road where I'm scuppered.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Well I've tried it without the chin curtain and it doesn't work for me at all, anyone want it before it goes in the bin?...

FOC mind, FOC!

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Just a thought but would smart phone screen protector film work, as it's a plastic it might just work as a thermal barrier and reduce misting .
Oh and there is anti mist/fog stuff for diving masks on fleabay as well to try.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
I used to race speedway years ago and there was a product then called Bob Moore which was fantastic. I haven't seen it for a long time but I saw this the other day, but I haven't tried it:

Shift It Anti Fog Visor Spray - Biker Stocking Fillers - Ghostbikes.com

I think muc-off do one as well
I have a bottle of this Shift it stuff that came as a freebie with my helmet and it doesn't work for me (nothing does for me, maybe I've got very humid breath!)

Just a thought but would smart phone screen protector film work, as it's a plastic it might just work as a thermal barrier and reduce misting .
Oh and there is anti mist/fog stuff for diving masks on fleabay as well to try.
I think that you might have trouble applying this to the lens if it weren't completely flat and if you did manage it there would be some pretty bad distortion (I've used them on my phone screens for years and they are great but when I used something which was like a screen protector that covered the whole of the iPhone 3gs body it was a right sod to get it to fit without bubbles)

But give it a try and report back because I'd love to hear of something that actually works!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts