Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had my bike go through it's 12,000 mile service ... I was a bit concerned because my front brake had started to make this scrapping noise whenever I applied the front brake.

Was assured by the people doing the service that the problem was down to some grit getting into the pads and that over time the brakes would return to normal.

However two weeks later and the problem is getting worse, now whenever I apply the front brakes I get a noticeable sudden lunge as the brakes kick in followed by a very sharp noise akin to metal scrapping against metal. The stopping action is very much sudden and not at all gradual.

Has anybody else come across this? At the moment stopped using the AT cause I'm scared it's going to put me into a bush.

The brake disks themselves look fine, a little grooved but nothing to explain this behaviour. Before I go off and have a go at the people who did the service ... any suggestions? Don't have a manual so not even sure that I've check the brake pad wear correctly ... although I assume it's the same as every bike and you just look for the groove on the pad and see how far down it goes.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
First thing to do is a visual inspection of the pads, take them out & have a look. Its only a 5min job.
And from now on - do your own servicing. Its not all that hard (after the first one), is a lot more satisfying, & gives you a lot more confidence that the job has been done properly (or at least that if there is a problem - its your own fault).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If it was a pebble, it should have come out by now. Very odd the dealer did not look any further into this, brakes are not exactly "let's-see-what-happens" parts. Also check if the spring that presses onto the pads is still in place. I once experienced how some amoeba-like lifeform at an official Honda dealer had managed to put that spring the wrong way round, obviously having used a heavy tool to bend the edges to get the thing in. I found out because it scratched against the disc (something yours seem to do as well).
When in doubt, put new pads in. They are cheaper than a disc, and a lot cheaper than the hospital.

Otherwise: what Gibbo said. I will NEVER let any dealer come close to the brakes of any of my bikes. But I tend to be quite paranoid in general :cyclopsani:

G

·
sounds scary to me. Obviously, the dealer b*stard did something wrong (and why don't they test the brakes when they're finished... :cyclops: )

My suggestion is, yes, do not drive till someone had a good look at it. Just find someone, fellowbiker, other DIY mechanic.

Just to say, be carefull, untill you found out what is the prob.

and then kick the dealers bum...

Cheers,
T.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
If you need the relevant pages of the Haynes manual to help you work out how to dismantle the brakes then let me know and I'll help out.

It really is only an hour job to do both calipers. You'll learn a lot more about them as well.
I've let the dealers do all my servicing for the last 2 years whilst in warranty but now I'm doing my own I feel much more in control. I basically know that I will do a good job and not cut corner and quite the opposite take my time if I need to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, had a look last night and both of the front brake pads are fine, they're not even close to the limit. Also checked the calipers and they're Ok too.

The only thing I can see is that one of the brake discs is a bit rusty and not perfectly smooth. Guess maybe the pad is not making good contact with the disc when I brake?

Still fuming that the service people did not even notice, I mean don't they check these things? The mechanic would have only had to ride the AT into the workshop to know something was not right. I only stomach the excessive cost of a service because I wanted peace of mind from knowing the bike was "fit" for purpose ... but guess you can't even trust um for that. GGrrrrrrrrr.

At the moment the AT is off the road while I try and work out what to do next. The winter months are not the time to be risking it with dodgy braking.

G

·
KEIFER said:
The only thing I can see is that one of the brake discs is a bit rusty and not perfectly smooth. Guess maybe the pad is not making good contact with the disc when I brake?
Could be, but that does not explain the binding of the brake, nor the problem getting worse.
In general rusty discs should be no problem, just brake hard a few times, and the rust is gone. So that does not apply to your problem. Still, FWIW, I think that when the problem just occured after the dealer "fixed" it, they should be held responsible...

Get someone with experience to look at it. It's difficult to say behind a PC what the problem is when not seeing/feeling the bike.

Goodluck,
Tijn

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ah ho, stop the presses: My brain just kicked into life! I remember something I messed up myself that may have something to do with your problem too (not the thing with the brain I mean).

Did by any chance the brake problems start shortly after the front wheel had been removed (tyre change for example)? When the wheel is put back in, there is this small ridge on the bottom-forkleg that stops the speedo-cable drive from turning round. I once made the mistake by tightening all bolts while the speed-cable drive was too far tilted backwards, making it rest on top of the ridge instead of being locked behind it. The result of this small mistake was that the forkleg was bent slightly outwards: This was just enough to have one of the calipers sitting under a tiny angle. The pads did no longer fully touch the disc at one side, and even worse, the caliper slighlty scraped against the disc causing slight scratches that soon turned into rust.

Sounds rather familiar...?

I had no idea what I had done wrong; I used a washer to make more room between the caliper and the disc (trying to convince myself there probably was one before that had fallen off), but of course this did not solve the poor pad-disc contact. Only when I took the whole front apart I found what I had done wrong.
Even if it the speedo cable drive is fitted correctly, make sure nothing else is fitted under tension at the front

I hope this is of any use.

G

·
Well well, good ol' Rob.. Thanks for that story. It immediately reminded me of the same. :drunken:
Something to do with the front fork being to much bent inwards or outwards, so that the caliper (not pad) was touching the disc.

It's certainly worth a try looking at.

In short, nothing should touch the brake disc, except the braking side of the brake pads.

You can try by removing the pads, and then refitting the calipers (carefull not to apply the brakes then... ).

Cheers,
T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts