Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a long ride yesterday bloody cold :color: but needed to go by bike anyhow gave me a chance to test the Honda since it's pretty much finished now.... or so I thought. when I took these this pictures.......

After admiring my handy work I turned the key...Nothing not a burp, checked the head light no lights.. brilliant in the middle of nowhere with no sparks. Fitted a new battery not long ago so miffed and irritated.

So first thought was a fuse no not that! noticed no ignition light just a glimmer tried the starter, light went out nothing. Oh bugger lets try kicking it in desperation, thank god for a kick start nothing! Fiddled with the ignition switch tried again with the kick start and fantastic roared into life:toothy9: Thought maybe I have a charging fault but got home every hing working again as normal, have since tested the battery and found it holding 13 volts and showing a 14 volt charge at idle. That seems OK so conclude I have a doggy ignition switch or have I.. anyone have any thoughts.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Different bike, but my @ had a very similar problem some time ago. I got stranded in Chelmsford for about 3 hours late at night :(

Turned out to be some previously bodged wiring in the ignition wiring circuit - it had corroded over time, and eventually the wire snapped leaving me with NO power - and wasnt a roadside fix at the time as it was burried behind the tank.

Cut back to good wiring and resolderd and heat shrink wrapped back up and all fine.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Are you sure that you have correctly fitted the negative.
If the earth is intermittent it could give the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yup sounds like an electrical problem to me as well. I think anton and stumpyfingers have it about right, Bikes looking cool by the way!!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean he battery stumpy it's as it should be, I will have to look further at the wiring under the tank but I still wonder about the ignition switch... emm ,food for thought.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh thanks mel but if you looked at it in the flesh it's not that good but it was never my intention to restore it to it's former state just turn it back into a half decent bike again.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well you have done a great job,i have been getting along with my xl600 project and now with an mot can finally get it dirty.
Incidentally most Honda switches have very small breather/draining holes underneath them it may be as simple as ablocked one of these so a squirt of wd40 might be all it needs,,,,mel

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had the same thought Mel already done that i noticed if i rocked the key the ignition light went out !!
I have a new Honda switch for a CB 750 in the shed, i did hope it would do but no such luck. :( I need to have a thorough look at the loom before I fork out 30 sobs for a new switch though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Coming back from Beecles some time ago I noticed the rev counter showing a lot less than the engine was realy doing. After a while I pulled over and had a quick check around the wires I could see.
When I hit the start button nothing happened. Like yours, jumped on the kick start and she fired up and got me home. Good job these things run without battery power.
I found a lovely green fury connection in the multiplug to the regulator, the red wire to be exact. As the battery got low on power everything was dying away. Good job it was day time.

Multiplug was under the seat on my LM. Could be worth a look.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's always nice to find the cause it happened again at the weekend stopped had a pee... later no go no spark and no ignition:confused:
IT WAS THE BATTERY!! dead short on the plates only 2 months old dealer said we have had a few do this replaced under warranty :cool:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It's always nice to find the cause it happened again at the weekend stopped had a pee... later no go no spark and no ignition:confused:
IT WAS THE BATTERY!! dead short on the plates only 2 months old dealer said we have had a few do this replaced under warranty :cool:
at least it is sorted now, or at least for the next two months.:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it 's not going to be a problem for me I just sold IT! Stumpy :eek:
I Never intended to but bought a big old elefant that needs tender care and lots of money spent, so sold the poor old XL to finance it:(
To be honest I was geting a bit bored with it now that it is about finnished.
I was considering a Africa but they proved a little to exspensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts