Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some reassurance from those in the know, was on the forum last night then shut down the laptop switched it on this morning and got a chk disc warning message. I let it do its thing and got screen messages below.

Is the lap top on its way out?????

Currently using it no issues, but concerned.

Thanks

DSCF2289.jpg DSCF2286.jpg DSCF2287.jpg DSCF2288.jpg

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
It seems to have done a disk check ond corrected various things it didn't like. It might have been that the PC was shut down while it was still trying to complete something ...did you perhaps have a brief power cut? ..... in which case there's probably nothing to worry about. Or, it could mean that your Hard-disk is starting to degrade. If you haven't already done so, it's probably a good idea to back-up (perhaps burn to DVD) anything you value by way of documents, pictures etc.
You could run a full disk check... see the Windows Help files for "how to do" instructions .... which should highlight any developing Hard disk problems. If there ARE faults on the disk, as opposed to errors in the file systems which the machine is able to correct, then it's time to think about replacing the hard disk (a lot cheaper than a whole new machine,and a new disk will probably run a little quicker, and hold more "stuff", than the old one)

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
As hotbulb said.
It is probably marking bad sectors.
Possibly starting to fail.
You could save yourself a lot of future grief and clone you existing hard drive to a new hard drive.
But a fresh install is always better than copying all the detritus from the old one.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But a fresh install is always better than copying all the detritus from the old one.
Should I copy my data to an external drive and then re-install? Although I do not have any disc's so if I got a fresh hard drive or over write the current drive how do a complete an install?

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you don't have the discs for your software you might be better off not re-formatting your drive. Back-up things you don't want to loose, and take copies when you make changes (new photos, edited documents...).

If you have time, find out how you can re-install your software should the drive fail. You might be able to download it again but with some pre-installed software you might be out of luck!

If it was just a one-off problem that is now resolved, no harm done. But if your drive fails at least you have your stuff. You can consider replacing the drive - or maybe the whole PC? - and buying whatever software you need.

Reactions: Alba
G

·
Check the orphaned TMP files and see that they are (use something like notepad and look for file descriptors in them.

It is though a simple case of a HDD error (probably the PC shutdown without closing files (power cut???)) and once the chkdsk has completed there shouldn't be an issue

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Check the orphaned TMP files and see that they are (use something like notepad and look for file descriptors in them.

It is though a simple case of a HDD error (probably the PC shutdown without closing files (power cut???)) and once the chkdsk has completed there shouldn't be an issue

Now that looks like English, and I recognise the words but nope, can't understand a word of it

:p

Sent from my SmartTabII7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Now that looks like English, and I recognise the words but nope, can't understand a word of it

:p

Sent from my SmartTabII7 using Tapatalk 2
That's because you are a girl...

There are lots of things I dont understand

The washing machine
The iron
The Hoover
Eastenders
Women asking men if their bum looks big when you already know the answer

You really are so lucky

·
Deer Dodger