Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just thinking of my next project. I like to lighten bikes and throw away anything not essential to the handling, running and legality of the thing.
Are there any pics of the TA without the bodywork?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Theere are a few pictures of Pigugly's transalp, which is stripped down without the fairing.

·
Elefant rider
210 Posts
check out the prototype section of my website....

there are some from two guys in Germany who strip alps on a regular basis....

plus thisone... is from the guy in my hometown (although it is mostly apart from a few things all AT), but on the site are a few more....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pics. Plenty of possibilities. Pigugly's TA minus lots of plastic & weight would be my aim :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Plenty of possibilities. Pigugly's TA minus lots of plastic & weight would be my aim :thumbup:
The removal of the weight makes a huge difference to the bike - as I can thank Phil for a blast on his TransRat last year. :thumbup:

It feels like a completely different bike. For a start, the view is very much different with no fairing in the way. And that little fairing does a surprisingly good job - not sure about motorways though. ;)

Yep, I think some form of protection bars for the radiators would be a good idea - as would not dropping the bike.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
217 Posts
Saving weight is of course a good idea on any vehicle, but difficult to know where to make an easy start on a TA. Removing the fairing doesn't actually save that much as it is all lightweight plastic - besides which, the advantages a fairing offers at speed far outweights the benefits of removing it.

Adding protection for the exposed radiator of course adds weight - if you are going down the weight saving route, engine bars are actually quite heavy and would be the first to go.

Obviously topbox/panniers/pannier racks can also go, as can the catalyser and the standard exhaust.

Consider also removing starter motor - not really required, just a lazy man's kick start - but how then to start? retrofit kickstart -could be difficult. Removal of rev counter,mirrors, lighter indicators all possibilities.

From there on it gets difficult and expensive. Much of what remains is pretty essential - gearbox/motor/clutch and very difficult to lighten easily. Lightweight frame? but even the frame is relatively light to begin with, handlebars maybe, wheels are alloy so no great savings there.

Left field suggestions include riding around with less gas in the tank - ever lifted off a full tank of fuel? - it's heavy! or for the rider to go on a diet and/or ride naked....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My lightened slr is in final assembly; managed to lose over 20kgs but it is strictly a bike for one. Removal of the pillion provisions: grab rail removed and the rear 10" of the subframe removed, footrest supports chopped to minimum. Just cutting down to a single seater has chopped over 5kgs. The airbox, not needed for a single, weighs over 1,5kgs! Now the total weight of OE plastic bodywork is 110grammes, just a bit between the tail light and the seat, all the rest is in store, but it won't fit back on the bike, 'cos I've ground all the unnecessary stuff off the frame.:thumbup:

Its a case of : Will it work/ is it legal without this bit? Can I safely chop that metalwork? Does it matter if it looks weird?

For me the improvement in handling is worth it... pretty much all the weight I've chopped was above the axle line, so the centre of gravity has dropped down: should be much more agile.:D

TA will probably be my next project, there's certainly more new and secondhand parts and accessories than there is for the slr and lots of potential:thumbright:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes - like it - especially the grab rail/airbox/footpeg removal I hadn't thought of...
Still not sure about removing the plastic fairing...

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
The Alp was bought a couple of years ago as a "project"...... not much has happened since then unfortunately :(

The stripped Alp is a hoot to ride - not better than stock just different, very different.

I have some figures from weighing both my 650's on the bathroom scales :rolleyes:,
My stock (ish) Alp is 210kg,
Stripped Alp is 187kg, both 'wet'with around 8 ltr of petrol.

The main difference is psychological, removing all the plascics & clocks etc really does cahnge the feel of the bike - kinda gives it a bad boy attitude ;)

Here's one in Derbyshire last year;

The bike now sports an enduro style rear end for more of a minimalist look that can be swapped for the top box/carrier rear in a few minutes. Also now fitted is a Simpson Detour headlight unit, the cheapo Chinese thing looked a bit naff & had crap lights (even before the wiring burnt out...).

There are lots of ideas kicking around in me little brain, just not enough time or workshop space to try them out :(

If you were really for the weight loss thing, lose one of the front discs/calipers & the rear subframe, then fit a smaller/plastic tank but then I feel you would be trying to create something that the Alp will never be - a true lightweight offroader

Phil

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Weighed my almost-done slr today: Stock bike kerbweight (full of fuel+ oil)= 175kgs.
Mine with no link pipe (approx 1kg) and no fuel (10kgs for 13ltrs) = 136kgs.
28kgs reduction :D:D, should make a huge difference in performance and handling.
Weight balance: 48,5% front, 51,5% rear.
Tank to be repainted, awaiting link pipe.

I would expect to lose loads more from a TA :thumbright:

Pigug, 23kgs is equal to a sack of plaster, should make much more than a psychological difference!! You'd need to shift a lot more than plastic and clocks to lose 23kgs, my 28kg reduction involved removing a fair bit of metal from the frame and footrest/swinging arm supports, as well as chucking the old twin-can system away.
East Lancs? Tod, Bacup, Burley??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Stripped??
He hasn't even started... still acres of plastic, mirrors, rack system, clocks etc etc:(
Bet the thing is much heavier than a stock machine, all that added metalwork.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Haven't bought a TA yet, will get one as my next project:
I currently have a properly stripped slr.
The TA is a good one for me, because its a v-twin, non-sportsbike riding position with road-biased supension but, as with most bikes its grossly overweight for my liking.
So far the only "stripped" TA's have seen have just had the fairing removed and an aftermarket exhaust added. The one above has had all sorts of extra weight added. Stripped? No way, he's just made his bike more impractical.:confused::confused:
If he wanted what he's tried to achieve, he should have just bought an AT and chucked the screen away. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts