Honda XRV Forum banner

Stuck in Kenya.....!

Tags
kenya stuck
3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Discombobulated 
#1 ·
Well here I am in Kenya, in a hot hotel room just waiting for my flight to be confirmed, I just hope it's not too long before I can come home :(

#7 ·
How true :sign5: :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

#9 ·
Eldest son gets married on Saturday 24th Apr - he's just been told that his flight from Houston, Texas, has been cancelled for the 2nd time.

Here's hoping tomorrow see's us with clearer air to allow some repatriation to occur - in all directions :thumbup:

Now, just got to send the missus off to calm down his fraught finacee and their little girl yet again.

Tell you what, everyone on xrv take a big breath at 10pm tonight and then exhale whilst facing north - lets see if we can't blow this crud away from us.
We've done stranger things as a co-operative, so why not solve this little problem with a bit of xrv magic :rolleyes: :D

Steve T

:cool:

#10 ·
I managed to get from Disney to Dunkirk and got the inlaws to do a return on the ferry and pick us up yesterday, but some of the people there had traveled from all over.
A couple from California, Marakesh, Brazil just couldnt beleave some of the places people have been to get to the coast, and then thumbing a lift on to the boat.
Some of the lengths people have gone to, The ferry terminal staff aranged a coach to take people over and do a strait return back to france.

People where pulling together for a change

#11 · (Edited)
People where pulling together for a change
With the exception of the bloody French train workers.

I was in Belgium with my daughter but there were no trains through France (the same reason why people can't get back from Spain). http://www.english.rfi.fr/france/20100419-hopes-let-french-rail-strike

The strike is now in its 12th day but I noted the Sunday Express made no mention of it, preferring to blame our government for failing to magic up a solution to a problem they have absolutely nothing to do with.

So we went to De Panne by Belgian railways and got a cab to Dunkerque.

The second problem was that the ferry companies will only allow a few people to go on foot. Like bazza we had to get someone to bring my car over, get in it and go back. The car decks were no more than half-full.

The volcano we can do nothing about. But striking French train staff and stupid rules on the ferries are man-made problems which ARE somebody's fault.

GRR! :mad:

Finally, it seems that the French coastguard and Police are refusing to allow private boats to pick people up and bring them back. Words cannot describe...

And good luck getting back from Kenya!!!

#13 ·
Quick update on eldest sons travels - he made it out of the US of A last night and landed at CDG airport, Paris this morning. Found a seat on the Eurostar to get him back to Blighty and is now happily ensconsed in the sleeper on his way to Inversnekky. :D

Guess we'll have a wedding on Saturday after all :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Thanks to everyone for working the XRV magic and blowing the dust away long enough for him to get home ;-)

#15 ·
I didnt have any bother with the rail strike as every thing was running fine at Pais Nord station at the weekend, couldnt move it was so buisy, sign said all trains full till the 20th, only a couple of places left on the Dunkirk one.

Glad your lad made it back ok Steve

#17 ·
Well here I am at home now, the flight to Amsterdam went almost without incident, we (4 of us were travelling) then had to wait until 1800 for a BA flight to Gatwick as the Bristol flight had been cancelled.

2 of our parties baggage had been processed to Bristol from Nairobi (Luckily not mine as mine was processed to Amsterdam) so it wasn't at Gatwick despite 9 hours in Amsterdam and being assured 3 times that the bags would be transfered from the Bristol flight to the Gatwick flight!!!

#20 ·
NOW HEAR THIS!!

I was so quick on arranging my return that we paid £200 to get the car across to Dunkerque and back so you would think I have no great love for Norfolk Lines BUT I have just been chatting to a roving consul from the Foreign Office whose just back from the Channel. She's spent the week dashing about France and Northern Spain sorting travel arrangements and told me the following.

On Tuesday, Norfolk Lines reacted to the chaos at Calais (where they don't sail) and arranged FREE OF CHARGE buses to take foot passengers to Dunkerque whereupon they would put them on the ferry and take them FREE OF CHARGE back to Dover. I need hardly tell you that the French unions tried to stop it so the Foreign Office had to put a rocket up the French government to let it happen.

But whichever way you look at it, that's handsome conduct from Norfolk Lines.

Bloody top marks!!! :thumbright:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.