Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again...

I dont use my mainstand very often and every time i use it up until recently it has been getting tighter and tighter.... I now cant shift the damb thing unless i have a 6ft pipe on the leg of it....

has anyone else had this problem or do they know how to fix it... we're trying to just lever and lever and lever and lever it while giving it release spray but should we take to the axle of it with a lump hammer...

Its in a very bad way...

HELPPPP

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
it might take a few days for penetrating oil to get into it. its probably rusted up, use a really thin oil like wd40 every day and give it a little tweak. no way you should be using loads of force on it, youll give it metal fatigue, you do want it to hold your bike up sometime! a little heat to expand it maybe, a few hot/cold cycles might shift it?

once you get it moving you will probably have to replace the bolts and then add it to the list of lube points everytime you give it a wash. i always use the mainstand for washing anyway, down its a lot easier to lube the hinges (i have a very good spray grease from the local car cabin, only a few quid but great for putting a bit of grease into hard to reach places. spray chain lube is also good for stuff like that)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I had a similar problem with the side stand on my Transalp, it was getting stiffer and stiffer.
In the end I sprayed it with WD40 and it became as easy as it was when new.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes ok thanks for the advice...

I'll put wd40 on it every day before work or i might even take it into work and put the burners on it lol

ok thanks ttyl

·
2,701 Posts
Had the same problem on my 600TA, a bit of heat and a suitably sized drift shifted it.:thumbup:

I leave it off as it reduces ground clearance, and fit it temporarily if i need the wheels off the floor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the same problem on my 600TA, a bit of heat and a suitably sized drift shifted it.:thumbup:

I leave it off as it reduces ground clearance, and fit it temporarily if i need the wheels off the floor.
I don't really mind about the ground clearance issue as its only ever me on the bike i never carry a pillion but thanks for your advice will try that...

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
You not alone with the stiffness issue, I had a look at mine tonight as it needed some coaxing to return (again not often used) it looks like its been through a farmyard with an impressive build up of mud and vegatation, scrape clean and loob seems the way to go.
Boy Devon has some dirty roads.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
You not alone with the stiffness issue, I had a look at mine tonight as it needed some coaxing to return (again not often used) it looks like its been through a farmyard with an impressive build up of mud and vegatation, scrape clean and loob seems the way to go.
Boy Devon has some dirty roads.

PLEASE... you are referring to stiffness in your stand and nothing else!!??

:rolleyes:

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
might be a bit of both :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PLEASE... you are referring to stiffness in your stand and nothing else!!??

:rolleyes:

I think my mainstand is stiff due to a build up in corrosion due to it's infrequent use... i have been told that itwill happen to most mainstands due to their location if they are not accuated regularly... I haven't resolved the issue yet but may work on it later in the week or at the weekend... i'm concerned about the lenght of time i leave it as i fear it will only get worse...

Thanks

Dave

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
You need to take it off and re-grease it. I find it's a regular task after winter, and I use my stand every day.

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine recently. The bar had rusted in to the centre stand but was free moving in the frame lugs. Had to use an angle grinder with a thin blade to cut through the bar either side of the centre stand lug. Once off I then cut a thin groove along the length of the rusted bar, inside the centre stand lug, with a metal saw. A right royal PITA!!! It just tapped out with this groove. Got another bit of tubing to make a new bar (19mm I think). Just give it a regular greasing to prevent it happening.
My trick for getting the spring on and off is to make a big wire hoop and hook it on the end of the spring then use a long metal bar to lever it off by putting it through the rear wheel. Protect the rim with some rag. Works a treat*

rob
* all work undertaken at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I did mine on my AT about a week ago.

Although it wasn't seized, it was getting there, and needed a good kick to make it go up once the bike was off the stand.

Getting it out was a PITA, as I didn't have a suitable drift to knock the bar out.

PLENTY of WD40, worked in, is the way to go. Spend a few hours/day/whatever it takes freeing it up as much as possible, then drift the pivot out, clean up the bar, stand, and frame lugs, as they will almost certainly have a film of rust over them.

Go mad with the grease and smear it everywhere before re-assembly.

If the TA is the same as a AT stand, AVOID using a pointed drift/chisel that will spread or stretch the end of the pivot pin, and make it even harder to get out. In the end, I used a cold chisel back-to-front (I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS!) as it was just smaller than the pivot and enabled me to drift it out with quite a few good hard whacks.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did mine on my AT about a week ago.

Although it wasn't seized, it was getting there, and needed a good kick to make it go up once the bike was off the stand.

Getting it out was a PITA, as I didn't have a suitable drift to knock the bar out.

PLENTY of WD40, worked in, is the way to go. Spend a few hours/day/whatever it takes freeing it up as much as possible, then drift the pivot out, clean up the bar, stand, and frame lugs, as they will almost certainly have a film of rust over them.

Go mad with the grease and smear it everywhere before re-assembly.

If the TA is the same as a AT stand, AVOID using a pointed drift/chisel that will spread or stretch the end of the pivot pin, and make it even harder to get out. In the end, I used a cold chisel back-to-front (I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS!) as it was just smaller than the pivot and enabled me to drift it out with quite a few good hard whacks.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

I think ill get or make a suitable drift in work.... the joys of working in a power station... homers galore!! :) :cool:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think this is a regular occurrence with main stands, It is the reason they are not fitted as standard anymore.
It is one less item that is covered by warranty.
Few people ask for them when purchasing a new bike.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I think my mainstand is stiff due to a build up in corrosion due to it's infrequent use... i have been told that itwill happen to most mainstands due to their location if they are not accuated regularly...
Dave
once youve got it free you need to gum it up with a thick lube. grease is the obvious one but if your not going to reapply it fairly regularly it will wash out. chain lube is good, or waxoil from the car world.
maybe a honda thing, i found when my stand was new it was very tight, but loosened up with use, probably the paint wearing off or whatever. it wont rust up because a/ i lube it and b/ it gets caked in oil from the snottoiler

·
Registered
307 Posts
:cool:

When I first had my 600 some years back the centre stand was seized, so after loads of releasing fluid and working it back and forth it operated normaly. then it was stripped and while the whole thing was apart I drilled the main support lugs, tapped and fitted twin grease nipples and then rebuilt it having cleaned and greased the componants.
Now every service it gets a pump from a grease gun and never had any problem since, works for me. :)

BIG D

S

·
0 Posts
You need to take it off and re-grease it. I find it's a regular task after winter, and I use my stand every day.
Needs to be done mined got so bad that I had to cut the moving bar off and replace it. Moral of story, take it out and regrease it every year prior to winter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Needs to be done mined got so bad that I had to cut the moving bar off and replace it. Moral of story, take it out and regrease it every year prior to winter.

I think that could be where mine is heading... I had her laid on her side up the garden and a mast of a boat over one of the mainstand legs trying to acuate it... it qinda helped but still unuseable.... :toothy6:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts