Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it feels gruntier above 4k, not massively but throttle response is improved,

No doubt it will pass its MOT as the sound is not as loud as i thought it would be.
It's strange that i don't notice any difference in sound levels at idle or below 3k.

Now i've just got to see what the real reason for me doing this gives me, so when i run low, i'm sticking in my usual tenner and see what i get, it's normally about 120 miles.

Air box is yet to be modded.

i was charged £90 for the removal, mod and re-fit of the system, it took 2 hours and they did it while i waited.

They are happy to do other alps now that they know what they're dealing with.

They are based in north London.

Dave Pollen Enterprises
wedge house
falcon road
ponders end
EN3 4LS

Nearly got busted by a speed camera on the way back i was having too much fun.:p

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
i was charged £90 for the removal, mod and re-fit of the system, it took 2 hours and they did it while i waited.
Well done. I just might do mine at Easter but was planning to it myself except the welding, so had hoped on about £10 to £20 plus hours and hours "enjoying" myself undoing an exhaust that's never been removed, stripping threads, snapping studs and all that other enjoyable stuff you get doing jobs on a well used bike.:rolleyes:

AND......If I haven't enjoyed myself enough I will also take the carbs off and put in smaller jets. :violent1:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Time for a Wee Jack daft question - I've seen this mod on a thread before and I wondered then also. Why do you leave "half" a sub chamber on. Why don't you cut the chamber out altogether and weld in a link pipe ?

Clamp the pipe in position as it came off the bike using a jig made of a wooden ?? frame , cut the chamber out and bend and weld a link pipe in.

Or am I just being daft ??

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Time for a Wee Jack daft question - I've seen this mod on a thread before and I wondered then also. Why do you leave "half" a sub chamber on. Why don't you cut the chamber out altogether and weld in a link pipe ?

Clamp the pipe in position as it came off the bike using a jig made of a wooden ?? frame , cut the chamber out and bend and weld a link pipe in.

Or am I just being daft ??
It's not a daft question Jack, I looked at this one closely before the grinder came out, if you look closely at the way the pipes enter and leave the subchamber, trying to replicate that would be quite difficult for the basic workshop.

I did cut off the little 'bulb' that is left below the outlet of the chamber, but when cut tight up to the outlet pipe, you basically have 3 parts of the joining pipe ready made.

Phil

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when you hold the system in your hands you do, but when it's on the bike, no, not really.

at a guess it would be like putting 3 or 4 litres of fuel in as a weight difference.

S

·
0 Posts
at a guess it would be like putting 3 or 4 litres of fuel in as a weight difference.
The difference being that fuel would be at the top of the bike so might affect the balance and the subchamber's at the bottom so would barely affect balance at all.

I've got a complete Arrow system (headers and can) and although it weighs a fraction of what the standard system/subchamber/can do there's no difference in the way the bike 'feels' in terms of weight/balance when stationary. It goes a lot better, but that's down to improved breathing rather than loss of weight.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
The full header system weighs about 6kg about 3kg of which is the subchamber, so yes it's quite a bit.

As mentioned the 3kg of the cat is low & centrally placed so it makes no difference to the feel of the bike - weight wise.

Phil

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought i'd give an update on the mod as far as fuel economy goes, So far after putting in 10 quid of fuel i have noticed no difference.:confused:
I'll give it another try this week and if still i have no joy, then it's airbox time:) .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts