Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my trip to Northern Ireland my Tyres on the Varadero are in need of Replacing. For years now i have used Bridgstone 020's which are really faultless but i believe they have now stoppped making them and replaced them with something else. Father has Metzlers on th GS and recons they are the mutts nuts.

Just curious to see what other people are using and rating, i don't want to go offorading on the bike and it will be as it always has been tarmac use only.

Also where do people find the best deals to buy a pair of tyres and fit yourself, as i'm iffing and amming about changing them myself.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
I have lasrertecs on the TDR seemlikegood tyres and lasting beter than BT45,s
merv

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Metzler tourance are great when they are new but as they start to wear they start to white line alot to the point where your riding slowly and go from side to side to compensate.
I think i'll go for Anakees next time and try those out.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Anakee 2's for me :thumbright:But then I only have experience of the original Bridgestones which gave me no confidence at all, the Anakees are epic :D

·
996cc's please, Mr. Zulu!
8 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 3 trail. - The absolute mutts nutz!! Nearly 2k miles on them so far and no sign of wierd wear pattern and fantastic grip in both wet and dry conditions.

Had Anakee's on previously and the front wore so unevenly I felt I had parkinsons after 2.5k miles of use. :shaking:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I agree with Boris. Both Pilot Road and Anakee 2 have ample grip so they're secure in the dry even when the pegs touch down. You don't need much more dry grip than that! No significant problems in the wet either.

I had a Pilot Road rear last over 12k miles, and there was tread to spare when it was punctured. But the Anakee is almost as hard-wearing: rear lasts about 11k miles for me, front an astonishing 17k miles. (Haven't experienced the wierd wear pattern Dave mentions.)

The Pilot Road Trail sounds interesting. Apparently the hard compound used on the centre-line is wider than on the ordinary Pilot Road; the soft rubber is only for the very edges of the tread. Apparently this is designed for heavily-laden adventure bikes.

Mudwiz: Thanks for that. Just fitted TKC80s, but I may try Scorpions when they wear out. Which shouldn't be long... :-s

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the link last above in the thread and the manufacturers websites and decided on either Bridgestone 023 0r 024 or Metzlers Roadtec Z6 or Tourance.
Phoned my local shop today and asked them for quotes they, rang me about 10mins later and the Tourances were cheapest as a pair when i compared prices in the online thing posted in the thread above the shop was only £15 dearer than online price and if i bought them online i would need to stay in and wait for a courier and then get them fitted so i've ordered then from my local they will be in tomorrow morning. £15 ain't worth the hastle

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Good thread this :D ,so now I think i'll go with Tourance on the front and Anakee on the back as it's just the back tyre I have issues with.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just after i wrote the last bit i had a phone call saying the tyres were in (3pm ish) so she now has a new pair of boots and serviced and cleaned the brakes loads of dust and carbon came out of them

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've now got Tourances on - 2nd set - after having two or three lots of Distanzias. Generally pleased with Tourances. I keep toying with the idea of fitting something with a bit more off-road bias, mostly because I like the Macho' look it gives the bike. Realistically tho' I don't need them. What I've got copes with my needs, including the odd foray off tarmac - farm tracks/basck lanes to fishing spots. Providing its dry and no deep ruts the vara copes adequately on the Tourances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't intend going off-road so I fitted a pair of conti Trail attacks to my VA5 last May, and they improved handling and thus my confidence no end. :thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rode mine yesterday and will be out again this afternoon the tyres seem great at the moment but biggest improvement is the sharpness of my front brakes since i cleaned them up it's made it a lot sharper and responsive

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep - that would help. Took mine in for its MOT last Saturday and had an advisory on rear brake pads. I nipped home and an hour later had replaced front and rear pads (even though fronts still had approx 5mm left), took it back and MOT tester who gave it the NOD and issued my certificate (no extra charge :p).

Went out for a 2 hour ride after that the difference was very noticeable, I guess with linked ABS the rear brakes actually do make a difference :p

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Good outcomes all 'round! Though I have to say, Cakeman, you were hard done by that they didn't issue an MOT certificate for a mere advisory. As the name implies, it's for things nor serious enough to warrant a fail. Still, if it improves the experience and didn't cost much then all's well that ends well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry - did I say advisory. He failed it on rear pads less than 1.5 - 2mm material left. However when I took them out there was a good 3-4mm still left, but they would obviously need replacing sooner rether thhan later. Had a full set of brand new Honda pads sitting in the spares box in the shed so was no problem to change em all out.

Pads had already been purchased 18 months previously so no further outlay required there, and the Tester was spot on because although it was a Satirday and they were extemely busy, he agreed to fast track mine through in 20 minutes and issued the pass certificate at no extra cost. so result all round I would say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Conti Road Attacks for me. They provide good grip wet or dry and last well. Rear has squared off at about 7k but passed MOT. I also go a rear brake pad advisory so tyre and pads after next weekend run to Cornwall. Pillion and luggage so squared off tyre won't be an issue. New, nicely rounded tyres make my kidneys hurt when she's on the back. That's where she hits me to slow me down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts