Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me and the wife have just decided on the summer hols. She wants to go visit her great grandad, but he's 6ft under in a war grave in Belgium and i want to go up Eiffel Tower. We both have the 1st 2weeks of September off so booked the Plymouth to Roscoff night Sailing out and a late afternoon sailing coming back. Bike, cabin out, normal sailing back £172.

Any tips on Belgium greatfully received, last time i went there it was a school trip...........................................17yrs ago....

ARE THEY IN THE EURO € OR WHAT CURRENCY DO THEY USE????

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Stay here if you get the chance. Top spot :thumb:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The Euro is the official currency. Beer is the unofficial one:D.

Bruge is sweet and go up the church or tower or whatever it is - you have to walk).

Brussels is packed with stuff to do (and you can sort of tour pubs and beer while seeing the sights:thumbup:). The only crap thing I visited in Brussels was the model village - it is absolutely dire, so avoid it - but the atomium was interesting.

There's a music instruments museum that actually plays you music by those instruments in your headphones, there's art galleries and of course the courts of justice and other EU things - and the pissing boy statue of course.

We ate some great meals out too, even though we're vegetarian.

Brussels is small enough to walk most of it, though there is a bus and tram system that sometimes overlap and you mistakenly get on a tram you think is a tube and end up in the wrong place.

You'll have a great time

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Euro is the official currency. Beer is the unofficial one:D.

Bruge is sweet and go up the church or tower or whatever it is - you have to walk).

Brussels is packed with stuff to do (and you can sort of tour pubs and beer while seeing the sights:thumbup:). The only crap thing I visited in Brussels was the model village - it is absolutely dire, so avoid it - but the atomium was interesting.

There's a music instruments museum that actually plays you music by those instruments in your headphones, there's art galleries and of course the courts of justice and other EU things - and the pissing boy statue of course.

We ate some great meals out too, even though we're vegetarian.

Brussels is small enough to walk most of it, though there is a bus and tram system that sometimes overlap and you mistakenly get on a tram you think is a tube and end up in the wrong place.

You'll have a great time
Thanks for response guys although we have 2 weeks off we are only going away for 1 week so don't know how much time we will have to get everything in. The Past few times we've been abroad on the bike we done mega miles each day. This time i am going to limit mileage each day so we get to see more of where we are, The graveyard where greatgrandfather is located is in Charleroi south of Brussels. The two main things to get in for this week are the graveyard and the Eiffel tower nothing else really matters.

Looking forward too it, the bike needs a bloddy good run it hasn't been abroad for 18mths, need to clock up some miles

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
If you've only got a week is Roscoff the best place to travel to it's more or less 500 miles to Bruge from there.

If you plan on Paris and Brussels wouldn't you be better off going to Le Havre

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you've only got a week is Roscoff the best place to travel to it's more or less 500 miles to Bruge from there.

If you plan on Paris and Brussels wouldn't you be better off going to Le Havre
Crossing place doesn't make any difference Plymouth is closest to me 70 miles, if i go Portsmouth to Caen i have to travel further in the UK to get to a port then a little bit less distance in France ( done both crossings before) And 500 miles can be acheieved in a day easily on the Varadero done it before going down to Valencia but like i said this time i'm going to limit the mileage a bit more than i have done in the past. I haven't said i'm going to Brussels the graveyard is in Charlerio Belgium which is only 2 1/2 hrs give or take from Paris anyway. |I.ve done 2500 miles in 4 days before so this trip should be easy and stress free

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just got back from a school trip to Belgium! (I'm staff, not a pupil!!) We did a music tour staying in Bruges, I don't travel much but I fell in love with Belgium, and Ypres was beautiful, I have to go back there, am planning to take the bikes with Baggy to do the cemeteries and war museum.

We stayed at the Youth Hostel in Bruges, mainly adults staying there, it was nice and very clean, so I'd recommend it, and parking is fine for bikes.

Enjoy your visit, I wish I was going back this summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts