Honda XRV Forum banner

Do you get supermotos?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to say I just don't get supermotos. Never ridden one, but never wanted to either. I must admit I admire any special thats well built and that includes supermotos, but I just don't get why :? All you seem to get to me is the worst of all worlds. The reason I own a dommie is because it allows me to go anywhere. It commutes, tours, and green lanes, a bit of a jack of all trades. If I moto'd it I think I'd lose its rugged ability to cope whatever. I get road tyres, twitchy steering, and lots of shiny stuff to worry about. Might as well of bought a GSX-R and personallised it with carbon bits.

Like I say, this could just be me and my ignorance, so if there are any great lovers of them here please educate me :D

Oh, and I do understand the desire for an individual bike, and better, faster steering, thats why I'm building a cafe racer. The thing that I don't get is why try to get this from a dual sport bike.

I commend the topic to the house. Let the debate begin :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To some maybe, I just think they're impractical. Can't get passed the fact that they seem to typify form over function. Like I say, could well be me, but I can't like something that's only saving grace is it's looks. Things have to DO something well, or I can't see the point in them. If I want something pretty, I'll buy a picture. Now if something useful is also beautiful, then great :D

The Wife won't like that, but then again, she can iron :D

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
If you've ever seen super moto racing you'll understand. Personally I don't think they are very practical for the road, but defininatly good fun.

They are a very cheap way of getting into racing if thats your thing.

·
What did I do that for...
468 Posts
To quote jaffa-cake:
they just look cool
Here's the evidence for the defence :D

In BIKE magazine recently this subject was covered, when they carried out a review of three super moto's.

The bike's have arisen from racing, SuperMotard is ios a french term, but I'll be fecked if I can remember all the details from the article....I'll post it all up to bore you later tonight when I get home :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
anton88 said:
I don't think they are very practical for the road,
hmm....for a daily cross city commute or hooning around the B roads I can't think of anything else I'd rather be on, good (useable) power combined with excellent visibility and as flickable as a light switch. Not to mention low running costs.

Much more practical than a zxcbgsxr.

Not much cop on a Motorway or Dual carriageway though.(but then neither is zxcbgsxr unless you're doing about 140)

Depends what you want to use it for really.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carport wrote
hmm....for a daily cross city commute or hooning around the B roads I can't think of anything else I'd rather be on, good (useable) power combined with excellent visibility and as flickable as a light switch. Not to mention low running costs.
You just described my standard Dommie :D and she can greenlane. So I ask again, why spend money tarting it up and fitting a smaller front wheel :?

·
Registered
443 Posts
squirrelciv said:
I've got to say I just don't get supermotos. Never ridden one, but never wanted to either. I must admit I admire any special thats well built and that includes supermotos, but I just don't get why :? All you seem to get to me is the worst of all worlds. The reason I own a dommie is because it allows me to go anywhere. It commutes, tours, and green lanes, a bit of a jack of all trades. If I moto'd it I think I'd lose its rugged ability to cope whatever. I get road tyres, twitchy steering, and lots of shiny stuff to worry about. Might as well of bought a GSX-R and personallised it with carbon bits.

Errrrm who says you can't offroad on supermotos exactly? :lol:

OK - it's not as good as it was with the knobblies, obviously - but there's very little proper gnarly off-road down this way anyway - short of going to an MX track.

There are plenty of supermotos which are tarted up to the max with all sorts of bling, and would never see any off road action in a million years for fear of scratching their anodised billet doodads and carbon fibre wotsits, but they ain't all like that!

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
stoo said:
There are plenty of supermotos which are tarted up to the max with all sorts of bling, and would never see any off road action in a million years for fear of scratching their anodised billet doodads and carbon fibre wotsits, but they ain't all like that!
Which is kind of silly, since an official supermoto track has an offroad section that is at minimum some (can't be bothered to check) percentage of the track. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Rubberchicken said:
stoo said:
Which is kind of silly, since an official supermoto track has an offroad section that is at minimum some (can't be bothered to check) percentage of the track. :)
Yeah, but there's plenty of dual sport bikes that never see off road either - people buy them for other reasons too - whether it's ergonomics or visibility, or whether they just like the look.

Same with SMs - people buy them for lots of different reasons. Often it's because people want something that'll handle like a sportsbike, with similar acceleration at lower speeds - but a lower top speed, to protect their license.

Some people buy them cos they want the lightest bike possible for stunting on, without getting something as impractical as a trials bike.

I bought mine originally because I wanted a road bike, but with longer travel suspension - at the time I had to ride down a flight of steps to get the bike into my back garden, which was no fun on my old VF500F :lol:

There are also a few tarmac-only SM race series. In the UK there are so few proper supermoto tracks, so they often end up on the more tight and twisty road race circuits, and go-kart tracks too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I personally like the home built supermotos made up from off road bikes like CR's and XR's a lot better than the factory made SM's.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
stoo said:
Yeah, but there's plenty of dual sport bikes that never see off road either - people buy them for other reasons too - whether it's ergonomics or visibility, or whether they just like the look.
True, true... Recently saw a BMW HP2 on road tyres... :roll:

stoo said:
Same with SMs - people buy them for lots of different reasons. Often it's because people want something that'll handle like a sportsbike, with similar acceleration at lower speeds - but a lower top speed, to protect their license.
That I can understand. I know I should not buy a 600cc fourbanger, no way, no how. Tried a mate's R6 once. That's a life-shortening piece of kit, that. Goes like stink, though. :D

I bought my NX as a starter bike (dad's old cb500four didn't really cut it) and the allroad thing is nice because I'm a tall guy...

Still wondering what to buy next though, this one's getting on a bit at 48000 miles. Something a bit more mileage-proof, thinking about AT or TA, or a bmw-gs of some kind if I can get the thing 'round the back and into the shed... (Airhead boxer width: 80 cm. Doorframe width: 80 cm. Errrr.)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Rubberchicken said:
True, true... Recently saw a BMW HP2 on road tyres... :roll:
Like this one? (The pic may not work unless you're a member of visordown - I'd shrink it and post it here, but can't until I get to my PC at home.)

In some ways I don't get that thing at all - too heavy to be a good off-roader, too gutless to be a fun road bike, too basic to be a good tourer, too expensive to be a toy (for the likes of me anyway :cry: )

Would love a go on one though - I bet it'd be surprisingly fun to ride.

Rubberchicken said:
That I can understand. I know I should not buy a 600cc fourbanger, no way, no how. Tried a mate's R6 once. That's a life-shortening piece of kit, that. Goes like stink, though. :D

I bought my NX as a starter bike (dad's old cb500four didn't really cut it) and the allroad thing is nice because I'm a tall guy...

Still wondering what to buy next though, this one's getting on a bit at 48000 miles. Something a bit more mileage-proof, thinking about AT or TA, or a bmw-gs of some kind if I can get the thing 'round the back and into the shed... (Airhead boxer width: 80 cm. Doorframe width: 80 cm. Errrr.)
Eek. Sounds like a tight squeeze. :lol:

Jaffa-cake said:
I personally like the home built supermotos made up from off road bikes like CR's and XR's a lot better than the factory made SM's.
The japanese factories haven't really made a decent effort yet on the factory SM front, but the European factories are coming out with some blinders. The KTM 525SMR, Husaberg 650, Husqvarna 570RR (and the droolworthy Nox) are all factory made SMs but more like a proper race SM than the Honda FMX650, Yam XT660X, Suzuki DZ400SM type things are...

·
What did I do that for...
468 Posts
Like I said I'd post up the proper info from BIKE magazine on the history of Supermotard's:

It all started as a crrrazy idea in USA, with Superbikers TV show.
Superbikers came about from Superstars (remember on BBC; it was sold to BBC from US TV)....well apparently there was a Motorcycle Olympiad with riders competing on all sorts of events on the one bike e.g. drag, motocross, trials, dirt track and road races...this led to the Superbikers idea.
US TV network ABC expanded Superstars to Superbikers.
Superbikers made top riders of the day and up and coming riders race one machine on half dirt, half tarmac tracks. Bikes were 500cc 2 stroke or 750cc 4 stroke, mostly crossers with lowered supension and big front brakes all running dirt-track tyres.
Superbikers stopped in the 80's, however in France the idea was just taking off and made it into a TV series - Motard is French for bikers hence SuperMotard :)
The whole thing grew and deveolped into a Championship series attracting big names once more.
The idealogoy of the Supermoto is "Hopped-up crossers with fat road wheels with proper brakes".

So there you go. :thumbup:

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
stoo said:
(BMW HP2)
In some ways I don't get that thing at all - too heavy to be a good off-roader, too gutless to be a fun road bike, too basic to be a good tourer, too expensive to be a toy (for the likes of me anyway :cry: )
Yeah, way too expensive, and then some...

But gutless? Nah.

And too heavy? Oh I dunno, they seem to be enjoying themselves here: ;-)
http://dentistavolante.smugmug.com/gallery/1049679/1/48737411/Large
http://dentistavolante.smugmug.com/gallery/1049679/2/48737441/Large
http://dentistavolante.smugmug.com/gallery/1215611/2/56865031/Large
http://dentistavolante.smugmug.com/gallery/1063781/1/49417923/Large
http://dentistavolante.smugmug.com/gallery/1063781/4/49417977/Large

Though I admit it takes a special kind of nutter to ride one like that. ;-)

stoo said:
Would love a go on one though - I bet it'd be surprisingly fun to ride.
Yesplease. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hehehe - that reminds me of a pic I saw of Kenny Roberts Snr. riding a V-Max very sideways off road. :shock: :lol:

Not saying it can't be done, but for us mere mortals, riding a heavy bike off-road is asking for punishment. The extra weight makes it that much more likely that you'll drop it over any technical sections, and then you've got to pick up all that extra weight every time....

For gentle trail use it would obviously be fine - but then so would the AT, TA, Dommy, GS Adventure or any other big trailie - and they'd all be considerably more versatile with it.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
stoo said:
Hehehe - that reminds me of a pic I saw of Kenny Roberts Snr. riding a V-Max very sideways off road. :shock: :lol:
Not a v-max, but...

stoo said:
Not saying it can't be done, but for us mere mortals, riding a heavy bike off-road is asking for punishment. The extra weight makes it that much more likely that you'll drop it over any technical sections, and then you've got to pick up all that extra weight every time....
Apparently you get used to it, and don't forget those boxers have a low center of gravity...

And I can tell you, there's nothing like seeing a 700cc V4 with carbon cans howl across some deep sand tracks on TKC80s... It's a truly awesome sight. :-D

stoo said:
For gentle trail use it would obviously be fine - but then so would the AT, TA, Dommy, GS Adventure or any other big trailie - and they'd all be considerably more versatile with it.
Well yeah, on gentle trails you can get away with just about any bike...

And then there's the guys who are completely utterly mindblowingly bonkers, taking a K100RT on road tyres across a muddy path that I would have to think twice about on my dommie with knobbies.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Rubberchicken said:
And I can tell you, there's nothing like seeing a 700cc V4 with carbon cans howl across some deep sand tracks on TKC80s... It's a truly awesome sight. :-D
You should come over and go trail riding with my mate Keith then...

:lol:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts