Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my ham fistedness replacing a battery pack I've managed to damage a component on my satnav mainboard and I'm looking for someone who has access to surface mount rework equipment.

Anyone capable of helping out?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here you go.

Its the voltage reference component U2 with FZEE on it.
The leg has snapped off inside the plastic package so I'd need to source one or hope someone else can.

I completely failed to see it and while levering the glued down battery I caught this. I cant see any other damage.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
The problem might be sourcing a replacement component.

Hmmm, just had a Google and it is, apparently, a Maxim LM4041 two-terminal shunt mode band gap reference. Only the two connections on
the same side of the device are used, the "lonely" terminal is not connected and only part of the package that has been used. You might be able to get a sample device off Maxim - I've no business address to use at the moment.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a few LM4041 on ebay. I just need to figure out which one

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
The manufacturers datasheet gives the one I need as LM4041DIM3-1.2-T

On ebay I can see NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR,LM4041DIM3-1.2/NOPB,IC, SHUNT V-REF, 1.225V, 24mV | eBay which has the correct part number but without the trailing "T"

Any idea what the T is for?

From Datasheet
LM4041DIM3-1.2-T -40°C to +85°C 3 SC70-3 FZEE
I think the "T" is in the part number from Maxim, the ebay item is a National Semiconductor (Now Texas Instruments) part, so the part numbers will differ.

Looks like the one you need though.

And while you're at it a nice cup of tea would go very nicely about now, thank you. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think the "T" is in the part number from Maxim, the ebay item is a National Semiconductor (Now Texas Instruments) part, so the part numbers will differ.

Looks like the one you need though.

And while you're at it a nice cup of tea would go very nicely about now, thank you. :D
Hopefully. Bloomin robbers though £2 odds for a few pennies worth of bits but needs must and for me to buy them I'd have to buy about 10,000 of them :)

I'll order it and see when it comes if I feel up to attempting the soldering myself. The pin density isn't too high and I used to be a dab hand with a bolt.

Two pairs of spectacles and the bench magnifier on standby

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
may be worth pointing out, maybe not as you may have already taken this into consideration and i cant remember exactly whether it matters or not either (sorry), but if the sat nav is newer than about 5 years it could well be using lead-free solder, so it may be worth you doing the same.it may be ok to use lead solder with lead- free board or lead-free solder with lead tinned board (i can't remeber)good luck, you should have no probs getting that on there and the solder-resist should allow you to work a solder blob around the leg without causing a short :)

G

·
The solder will not matter, what will matter is the way the solder is implemented as well as the tool used for heating..

Use the smallest iron with the smallest tip possible.. If you can get it use solder paste and rework flux, if you can't get paste (flux I last got a tube for a quid on ebay) then file the solder and mix the little bits with the rework flux. Use a toothpick to place a tiny bit round the device to be soldered, move the iron through the paste onto the leg, repeat if not enough solder. The rinse with a bit of IPA (not Indian Pale Ale)

If you try to use a soldering iron and cored solder then you will make mistakes.

As for the device its a FZEE LM4041DIM3-1.2 Max L SOT23 1.225V 1.5% shunt V ref Farnell has them in stock

NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR|LM4041DIM3-1.2|IC, SM, MICROPOWER, VOLT REF, | Farnell United Kingdom

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I've repaired it.

Using the finest tip I had on my old Weller TCP bolt, Two LED torches, two pairs of spectacles and a magnifying glass.

It isn't pretty but it seems to be working again :)

Just to give an idea of scale here is the part in question and these are millimetre graduations on the ruler

Reactions: East Coast
1 - 14 of 14 Posts