Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb question but as it is from me, it's ok....
Sometimes, entering into corners, I get the feeling of the bike being a little "wobbly" is the best I can describe it. Those of you who know me, will know I am not a light weigth. Is it just a case of trial and error, make it the bike a bit harder and see how it goes or does anyone have other tips please...?

Ideally I would like to have a "firmer" feeling........the bike that is (knowing what this forum is like I can see this being completely misconstrued......)

Alternatively I can always blame my poor riding skills.....30 years and I am still crap at it.....:D

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Where does it feel wobbly?? Front or rear end?

Have you got a lot of weight onboard...? Not you Tony, I mean a topbox!!

Tyre pressures all up to spec?

My TA used to be a real pig on the front end when heavily laden with camping gear etc, higher tyre pressures and rear shock to max preload helped, a new Hagon put the wobble right.

Maybe some more road orientated rubber?

Though maybe a pointer in your post about the FI? " I had it MOT'd. Pleased to say Beast passed with flying colours with just a couple of advisories on front tyre..." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steveR;640489 Have you got a lot of weight onboard...? [/QUOTE said:
have we met before...? :) tyre pressure is good and I am not sure if it is wobbly front or back, it just feels not as tight as I would expect.....maybe I should make the suspension thingy a bit harder...? When commuting to work I carry very little weight in the top box. I would say I notice it less when the bike is two up and fully loaded with camping gear.....:confused: bike has just passed it's MOT no problems......maybe I should let one of the more skilled riders take it for a spin and get a second opinion. Tyres are good too.....

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
It needs balancing for you Tony so having someone ride for you wont work I'm afraid.

Yours is an ABS later model with rear suspension adjustment on the right ???!!!! I think.

Find a quiet and safe stretch of road and at about 30ish let go of the bars, if the suspension is too soft the bars will wobble (like the start of a tank slapper) wind the suspension up a few clicks and try again, you'll notice the difference and wont go too far. I love the Dero for ease of setting up, if this has no effect then you may have to start looking at mechanical stuff.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
When I had my Varadero I generally thought the handling was rather poor, including that sort of vague nervous wobbly feeling you describe going into corners. Apart from discovering they need a firm hand, ie best ridden somewhat agressively there were two things that really improved matters for me: increasing the rebound damping or is it compression damping - whatever the little screw at the bottom of the rear shock to about 1/2 turn off max, and upping tyre pressure to about 42 solo and something like 48 for 2-up fully loaded trips.

Good luck, once sorted I then thought the handling was fine, although sensitive to tyre wear and how heavily loaded it was.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

Find a quiet and safe stretch of road and at about 30ish let go of the bars, if the suspension is too soft the bars will wobble (like the start of a tank slapper)
Carrying a top box also makes them do that, i found that out at about 95mph and wondered what was going on. I got around it on mine by tightening up the headraces

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This is not a problem that I have ever experienced. My Vara runs straight as a die in a straight line and corners like its on rails, inspiring great confidence. The only time I've ever had the wobbles was when the rear wheel bearings were breaking up. Are you sure yours are OK? If it starts to twitch over the white lines I check tyre preessure and bearings.
Fully laden, two up, high speed, whatever - it don't wobble.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
have we met before...? :) tyre pressure is good and I am not sure if it is wobbly front or back, it just feels not as tight as I would expect.....maybe I should make the suspension thingy a bit harder...? When commuting to work I carry very little weight in the top box. I would say I notice it less when the bike is two up and fully loaded with camping gear.....:confused: bike has just passed it's MOT no problems......maybe I should let one of the more skilled riders take it for a spin and get a second opinion. Tyres are good too.....
I agree with the prevailing opinion of crank the rear preload up even solo, easily done too on the Vara :) Front is a wee bit soft IMO, but manageable. Pressures needed to be a bit higher than Honda said I have found. Try another 3-5psi at the rear? The topbox alone can screw handling, the Honda one on my scoot weighs quite a bit more than the cheapie Kappa on the Vara and are the same capacity.

However you do say the bike feels more stable with some weight on the bike, not becaue you travel a little more slowly?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
apologies to all I was away. Thank you all for the good tips. SteveR the answer to the last question is no, as I tend to travel further and faster when fully loaded than commuting into work Mon to Friday....some of the tech stuff is gibberish to me but will try a few simple tips and see how it goes....:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts