Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of giving my 2002 RD07A some loving care, and have started to strip the suspension linkage down. Only the U shaped bit that hinges on the frame has completely seized. In fact it's the bolt that has seized to the collar/insert. I've taken the centre stand and exhaust off of the bike, so I've got good access, but I cannot get the damn bolt out. I've bathed the lot in WD40, and have been using a lump hammer and drift/punch to try and free it up. I'd got to the point where I was going to cut the bolt, but cannot see how I would get a hacksaw in there.

Any ideas on how I can make progress?

Iain

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I am in the process of giving my 2002 RD07A some loving care, and have started to strip the suspension linkage down. Only the U shaped bit that hinges on the frame has completely seized. In fact it's the bolt that has seized to the collar/insert. I've taken the centre stand and exhaust off of the bike, so I've got good access, but I cannot get the damn bolt out. I've bathed the lot in WD40, and have been using a lump hammer and drift/punch to try and free it up. I'd got to the point where I was going to cut the bolt, but cannot see how I would get a hacksaw in there.

Any ideas on how I can make progress?

Iain
Picture???

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
thunder had the same issue with his RD07 after many days of brute force and ignorance he had to concede defeat and cut the bolt , you will be needing to chance the bearings and seals so whilst the back ends off you may as well do them all:thumbright: grease up everything nicely as honda clearly didnt:thumbup:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Plenty of heat then lay the bike on it's side and use your lump hammer again?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'm afraid it is going to be a case of sheer brute force, or cutting things!

As Lord Essex has pointed out, you're gonna have to renew the bearings and the inner bush (which the bolt passes through and is rusted to) anyway, so don't worry too much about them. Unless you're gonna be painting the frame, be careful using heat. You could get a blowtorch on the linkage area to get it good and hot, but expect smoke and smells as the grease and seals melt!!

Lord Bristol has suggested brute force, which is the only way I'm afraid. I'm certainly not recommending it, but I had exactly the same problem on an RD03 I stripped, and laid the bike over and put a Kango type drill (that locks so it doesn't spin) on the bolt and drilled the fekker out. I'd previously spent a day or two with penetrating oil (Plus Gas is better than WD40)

It will come out eventually I promise you, but I'll be really surprised if you haven'y got the same problem on the bearing in the triangular link, that the lower shock bolt passes through.

Good Luck, and mind your fingers!!!!!

:thumbup:

P.S. and as Lord Suffolk has requested, please post pics if you can be ar$ed!! :lol:

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Had the exact same situation on the 07 build and more recently on the 03.

With the 07 I wasted a week of my life soaking the bolt in various fluids, applying heat and beating it with all manner of heavy implements before getting the angle grinder out and cutting the bolt out ( there is just enough space if you move the wishbone tight to the frame).

The bearings will not be damaged,(personally I'd be renewing them if your at this stage) but you will have to replace the bolt and inner sleeve.

With the 03 I spent an hour before putting previous experience into play and grabbing the grinder :)

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys. Had a crack at heating it up and trying to drift the bolt out, with some, but not complete success.

The bolt moved a bit, but not enough. So broke out the angle grinder and went to work, which did the trick.

Took a bit off the end of the actual linkage, but hopefully not so much that new bearings/seals can't be fitted.

Will treat this both bits of the linkage to new bearings all round.

Iain

·
17,680 Posts
that wont cause any issues mate , its only a skim:D treat all the new stuff to a decent lube up:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Linkage bearing kit in stock, and now on order, from Wemoto at £93. :(

Iain

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts

Iain
I bought that kit a few years ago and it was all genuine Honda bagged parts. Saving mine for a rainy day.

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Definately get them as individual bits from a bearing place - it saves you a fortune - the spacer and seals are prolly the only bits you need to get as original or OEM...........

I must have been lucky with mine as it wasnt in need of sawing - just a hammer and drift job..........

·
17,680 Posts

Iain
yup mate i feel your pain , they are feckin spitefull:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts