Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the @'s suspension is ok and after a bit of a rebuild go alot better, but by no ways as good as newer forks which has me thinking do I upgrade bikes or upgrade suspension?

option 1, install emulators in the standard forks, read alot of good things about how they improve the forks. maybe look at a lift kit from AQ also?

option 2, fit some XR600-650 forks, bonus is they fit right into the @ clamps, have more travel, proper cartridge fork, downside need to change brakes to something more substantial and they will still need new springs etc.

option 3, fit some CR250/500 forks, huge improvement is suspension travel and quality of ride, again need to change brakes, machine the headset to fit @ bearings, don't know how the CR fork clamps will change the suspension angles/rack etc, needs new springs etc.

With fork changes you will probably have to look at a longer rear shock to match up with the extra travel also, so probably have to look at a custom built unit which could cost major $$$

So what is the best option? the @ is cool but is it worth spending the money upgrading the forks to something bigger and better or do I lose the @ and just upgrade to a newer bike like a 640A or 950 etc?

I know a few guys have upgraded and others are in the process but what's peoples ideas on the subject, to mod or not to mod???

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Just increasing the weight of the oil can make a big difference.

Xander has done some major mods with his and is well happy :D

ATgreg is doing a fork conversion as well.

I'm sure they will be in touch soon :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
How much $$$ do ya want to spend ???? and how much stuffing around do you want to do ???. Let me know and I'll have some ideas for ya

·
Registered
92 Posts
The solution to put a fork inverted in front as mine and to change the suspension defers by an OHLINS, WP and ect

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Breeze has gone the route of Marzocchi USD forks with Boano braces and Ohlins rear shock - see his thread here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much $$$ do ya want to spend ???? and how much stuffing around do you want to do ???. Let me know and I'll have some ideas for ya
Thats the million dollar question, the setup on ebay is nice but in the same boat as you in that even if the price is good the freight is the killer from europe, I've seen a couple of sets of CR forks with wheel come through locally that have gone for $400-500NZ which even with new springs etc are still going to be a pretty cheap setup.
I've got the mates who can do the machining for the bearings and making up spacers etc for the brakes etc so it shouldn't be too much of an issue but I've been waiting for you to finish your setup with the CR front end and see how you find it and any issues you find in the process:D

I might look into replacing the factory dials etc with a digital unit and see were else I can free up some weight from the front end to give the forks an easier time?

I have to do my sums and work out how much is worth sticking into the @, have been offered a very well sorted 640A thats almost new but the @ is hard to give up :D

·
Middle-aged Junior Member
84 Posts
I think this question has already been asked but: Stormforce, is that your garage or living room where you're keeping your bike?
:D :D Just jealous!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thats the million dollar question,
I have to do my sums and work out how much is worth sticking into the @, have been offered a very well sorted 640A thats almost new but the @ is hard to give up :D

Ok obviously your pretty switched on about this stuff, Im going to be fitting my front end in December, I dont ride i Dec / jan its to hot so ive just been collecting all the bits.

Ive tried a 640 Adv, love the chassis but cant live with the engine and of course i cant bring myself to get rid of the AT.

Some stuff to throw into the calcs, apart from the front end, you'll need a wheel, the AT wheel wont fit the CR axle etc, then the CR rim is narrower than the AT, 1.6" Vs 1.85", better for the dirt but not as good on the tar, also the spokes are pretty light so Im going to be re rimming and spokeing the CR wheel. You'll need a big disc and caliper spacer, I picked up a new CR EBC supermoto kit for $US200 off ebay. The dual disc AT mastercylinder is the wrong size for a single caliper, I got a complete CR brake system again of US ebay.

My costs so far are (inc postage and in Oz $$) all off US ebay

96 CR250 forks & clamps - $220
Front wheel - $200
Supermoto brake kit - $200
Complete CR front brake - $80
Sundry bits & bobs - $100

Im also expecting-
respring, revalve and service the forks - $500
re rim and respoke front wheel - $500
machining cr stem, modify steering stops, make bracket for the ignition swith / steering lock - $?????

As you can see its still not cheap and to be frank if I wasn't already this far down the CR route I'd buy the forks off ebay. Get someone in europe to get em and stick on slow cheap surface mail.

·
Registered
547 Posts
option 1, install emulators in the standard forks, read alot of good things about how they improve the forks. maybe look at a lift kit from AQ also?
Ive had emulators in my AT forks for about 5 years, combined with proper springs for you weight they really do make a huge difference to the front end

option 2, fit some XR600-650 forks, bonus is they fit right into the @ clamps, have more travel, proper cartridge fork, downside need to change brakes to something more substantial and they will still need new springs etc.
I thought seriously about these but Im a bit worried about the thin 43mm longer forks flexing with the greater weight of the AT. I thought about chopping 10mm out of the travel to get more overlap and adding a fork brace which you can get from the US. A few guys in the US have done this to TA's and are pleased with the results but they found it very hard to get springs stiff enough for the weight so an even heavier AT would be an issue. XR supermoto brake kits are also available of US ebay. pre 93 XR's have a 15mm axle like a TA and post 93 XR's have a 17mm axle like the AT.

With fork changes you will probably have to look at a longer rear shock to match up with the extra travel also, so probably have to look at a custom built unit which could cost major $$$
Absolutely, I have a custom 10mm longer ohlins shock and I think it would be mandatory to balance the longer forks or maybe if your happy with no extra travel but just the height to match for fork height a cheaper way out would be a rear lift kit or maybe make your own longer lower clevis for the shock

So what is the best option? the @ is cool but is it worth spending the money upgrading the forks to something bigger and better or do I lose the @ and just upgrade to a newer bike like a 640A or 950 etc?

Thats a question only you can answer for yourself !!. After flirting with buying both a KTM950 and a HP2 in the last 18months I came to realise me & the AT are wedded for life so it's worth tarting her up even more

1 - 12 of 12 Posts