Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys as the good weather is just round the next snowy corner and time to play will be upon us in no time, I’m thinking of trying to make some improvements
I’m not planning a full fork swap for KTM stuff, but I find the front a bit soft, most of my riding will be on tarmac, and around Scotland’s fantastic North & West Coast roads, and if my dreams ever come true, Magadan!
So, progressive springs, ricor valves, heavier oil or any other mods, rear shock swap or are there any other bike rear shocks to consider?

Thanks in advance

John

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I carried out some development work for Nitron Racing on shocks for the adventure market and specifically the Africa Twin. Linear spring gives you the best range of handling within the shock and is more consistent and predictable at all operating temperatures.

For the front I fitted Intiminators and this transformed the front giving me good low speed damping to deal with small road surface imperfections and allowing the main valving to deal with the high speed damping for bigger hits off road

Link to the Nitron Racing shock

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/product-reviews/83386-nitron-ntr-xtreme-shock-rd07-07a.html

Link to the Intiminator review

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/produc...inators-slugs-mitas-tyres-e10s-e09-dakar.html

Unless you are competing the shocks cover a wide range of settings that in reality you could fit, set up and never need to adjust those settings

Reactions: Jakethepeg007

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ive grafted some DRZ yokes and forks onto my 96 Africa Twin. Ive also used a "Braking" 320mm front disc & a "Braking" billet 4 pot caliper so yes it does stop well now :toothy10:

Ive changed to a heavier oil and its great u can now float over the roughest tarmac or gravel road or green lane with ease after dialing the bumps out with the compression & rebound settings. On the rear ive used a billet "dog leg" to lift the back up so now with the 48mm forks it runs about 70mm taller than usual witch i like. Very stable though the bends and a cheap mod i think its cost me under £200 for forks yokes and a bit of machining to mate the AT stalk with the yokes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts