Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am an Africa Twin rider from Denmark, that are building a bit on my RD04.

The ride ready weight with full tank is 210 kg (I am still trying to get the weight down to 200kg).

I really like the bike, except for the suspension.
It feels way too hard/harsh on fast bumps and holes, that are transmitted straight to the seat and handlebar.

So, I need to upgrade/tune the suspension.
The goal is:
The best possible offroad performance and I don’t really care about brake dive.
I vant the ride on bumpy gravel roads to be as smooth and comfy as possible.

Front fork:
In Denmark it it really hard (expensive) to get a front fork swap approved, so the plan is to upgrade the original front fork.

I have the standard springs in it (I think), and after some weight have been removed from the bike, the stiffness of the springs feels ok.
So, the idea is to change the damping by Ricor intiminators or Race Tech emulators.

Which one should I choose, and why?
To keep cost down, I would like to keep the standard springs.

Rear damper:
I have the standard rear damper, and it feels way too hard at compression damping, and transfer all fast bumps to the seat.

From sag 10%/30% i have calculated the spring to be 5-8% too stiff, but I don’t think this is enough off to causes the problem?
The bike have 70.000km on the clock, and the damper have probably never been rebuild. But usually people say that an old damper gets too soft, and not too hard?

Is it possible to get the rear damper rebuild and get less compression damping?
It has plenty of rebound damping.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi Peter

I have done extensive work on suspension for the RD07a and RD04

I attach the links to the reports. For the rear I helped in the development of Nitron shock, for the front I fitted Intiminators. I have run enduros and many fast off and on road routes. The fron and rear both stay very focused and grip is excellent

Rear:
https://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/product-reviews/83386-nitron-ntr-xtreme-shock-rd07-07a.html

Front:
https://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/produ...inators-slugs-mitas-tyres-e10s-e09-dakar.html

Hope this helps

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Forgot to say the Nitron shocks are available from Rugged Roads

1 - 4 of 4 Posts