Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a gamble and ordered these.

Look like top kit now I've fitted it. Nice and firm (!) only had to grind a little bit out of the right side to fit round my quite high Remus exhaust.

Frames literally attach and come off in a minute, and as you can see, whats left hardly alters the looks. Moved the indicators backwards as you can see, so took its time fitting it all. Looks like top stuff and will get a testing in Scotland next month.

As a matter of interest put some Ultraseal in the tyres as well.

M

·
0 Posts
Pannniers

Hi looks V good. What did you have to "grind out" ? Exhaust? Pannier? How much for the full kit, and you got a photo from behind with panniers fitted?
Cheers moose.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pannier Rails, Bad Batch

Gregger

I hate to say this, but some of the guys on the site will confirm I sell the SW Motech range and have fitted it to quite a few guys bikes, have a look at the other thread further down from Blues'n'Twos as an example

You should not have required any grinding out what so ever. Did you speak to the people you got them from at all before you did.?

I can advise you that there have been a Bad Batch of frames kicking about, I've had three sets through here in the last month. The root cause being, SW Motech did some mods back in 2004 to rectify these problems, however their stock control system fell down and they had a batch left in the the back of the warehouse of the old frames (it only effects the right hand one) however the rear upper right locating arm is both too short and not correctly situated, causing this problem.

After much investigation and perseverance on my part I was able to prove to them that the right hand frame is actually lower by about 1-1.5cm than the left hand frame. By taking pictures and and measurements. By the way I have a Remus on mine as well and the original set I had didn't have this problem. Londonbubble has now got that set somewhere in Europe on his mega trip.

Put your bike on the centre stand and take off both of your panniers, then look from the rear, if I am right it is quite apparent.

Now the good news. As I have said I have had SW Motech in Germany admit that they have had this faulty batch. You should be able to go back to were you got them from explain to them the problem say you had to mod as you were mounting the luggage for trip you were booked on the very next day so it had to be done or else. They will get hold of the UK importer who I know very well. They will throw up their hands in frustration but should sort out the problem via your dealer.

There is a long lead time for the replacements though, it is in the region of 5-8 weeks whilst they go back and check all their jugs etc and make sure they are manufacturing them to the correct standard. By the way I'm at the front of the queue, so you dealer may have slight wait.

In summary, I have sold thousands of pounds worth of SW Motech kit now and this is the only problem I have encountered with them, as a rule, it is excellent quality at the right price and slots into place with an issue.

If you need any more help getting this sorted you are free to give me a call, you can get all my details at www.eibcltd.co.uk

·
Registered
50 Posts
How does this kit compare to Givi and other plastic luggage systems? In terms of cost, durability, waterproofing etc.

From the picture the top box looks very sturdy. I have a Givi topbox and touratech cases all now totally battered following a South America trip and in need of replacement. In my humble opinion I don't rate the touratech boxes - they get bent out of shape way too easily and the waterproofing is shot. The catches are not good either. However, they do look the part for an overland trip and the removeable bags work well.

The Givi top box has survived a couple of rolls and with the exception of some nasty scratches and a broken metal fixing catch (which is repairable) functions fine but is damned ugly. I particularly like the fact that it can be so easily removed and appears very secure - no opportunist thief on the street or in a hostel is going to figure out the locking mechanism. It doesn't look as hardcore as the touratech kit but it was surprisingly better.

Would be keen to know about a new top box!

Matt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Boxes

SW Motech don't make boxes, all that is refered to here is the Rail System, can't quite make out what they are, maybe Gregger could enlighten us.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Topbox?

I thought so as well for the panniers but wasn't sure about the top box

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does this kit compare to Givi and other plastic luggage systems?
Caveman is correct, SW Motech are the rails only. They've got KAppa luggage on the side racks. The Top Box is a Givi E36 I think, on a seperate Givi real luggage plate. They seem OK but not tested them in a downpour or a getoff and hope I never do.

Intersting comments there Caveman. I did gave some Givi tubular rails on before but they really rubbed against the Remus. Thats why I took a "gamble" cos I thought they'd do the same as my Remus stands quite hi. Thats why I took the dremel to the right hand rail, but appreciate your thoughts.

You can see here where I took out about 7x 1cm , the gaffa taped bit. Doesn't seem to affect anything. I'll try for a rear photo for Moose!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts