Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
this is actually my first post here, so apologies if this has been asked somewhere else on the forum already:
I need a new engine for my RD03 (might've been running a bit low on oil on my last tour). I was thinking of a 750 engine from a RD04. Can the engines be swapped like that or is there anything I would need to modyfy/replace (carburettors etc.)?

Also, if anyone had a spare 750 twin engine, I should be very interested!

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am not sure about RD04 if fits in Rd03 frame but a friend of mine have don it with Transalp 600 few yrs ago and that engine fits inside "bolt to bolt"

But if you do it with RD04 engine and still you have the carbs from Rd03 please I am very interested because my carbs, as it is looking like are in not repairing state
cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

sorry for the late reply. Engine fits nicely and apart from carbs there is no need for further parts. Should still have the old carbs or at least parts of it but I won't be able to have a look at them anytime soon. Had an accident and will have to wait a bit till I can get back to the workshop where the carbs are. (Don't worry, the bike is fine ;)) Prob sometime this summer. So if you find rd03 carbs in the meantime, go for it! Otherwise pm me in a month or so and I'll see what I got.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi
mechanic told me that my carbs are gone and last weekend I took them apart myself to see what's really wrong, and miracle, that crap mechanic did not tight the main jets!?! But no matter, I will pm you after month or two cos I still think of buying as a spare after all the hassle :)

But, even if your AT was for a while low on oil it doesn't mean there is damage inside and if there is, it is no big deal to fix and repair.... I say this because I like to keep my bike in original state. With 750cc you won't even get some significant extra power. My experience on off road is that I never had lack of power comparing with 750cc and on the road never any 750 AT were faster than me on my 650 and on my bike is all factory standard even rear sprocket is 49 tooth :) Honda says we can go down to 39 tooth when we can get lower fuel consumption on open road witch is fine and the speed increases a lot, but if I were interested in speed I would ride a different type of a bike.

Hope you are fine after that accident...

Cheers,
Vanja

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi
mechanic told me that my carbs are gone and last weekend I took them apart myself to see what's really wrong, and miracle, that crap mechanic did not tight the main jets!?!
Glad to hear the problem wasn't the carbs, just the mechanic. Just goes to show how much better you are to look after your bike yourself. Have you got it running again, and is it sorted?

·
Registered
33 Posts
HI TIM :)

yes! I have just posted the news on the tread with few picks, still trying to post short video but I think the net are bad at the moment cos it won't go...

the same evening I have been celebrating with friends by the river :)

Thank you so much for your advices, so valuable :thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Vanja,

After the experience I had I'd definitely be careful with oil levels in an AT. It is an old engine after all and...well.. no oil no lubrication, which will lead to you wrecking your motor beyond repair.

The engine size doesn't make a big difference imo. Especially since I got the Austrian model, which for some strange reason is limited. For me it was more a matter of availability of a nice motor at the right price. I actually think the 600-700cc sizes are quite nice for adventure bikes. It's more than enough off roads, where weight matters so much more, and enough to have some fun in the twisties. Well and top speed wise I guess anything beyond 100mph on an AT is quite ballsy anyway.

Glad you fixed your carbs. Can be quite tricky... had to take mine out several times as well. But still worth doing yourself!

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
definitely low oil level is bad idea and shouldn't it happen at all but if it wasn't for extended period of time and in not extreme conditions such a high temperature I think Honda have made this engine good enough to stand with it, maybe...
The Swiss model is restricted too, but first thing after I imported the bike in Serbia I took of the rings from intake (near carbs) and got a pair of CDI from ebay. This is also good size of a bike for me because I am only 63kg of weight and when I pack my bike for long travelings I am just on limits ;) I can lift it from ground only while on off road, cos adrenalin I guess but on tarmac I was never able to do it by myself :) I found the most enjoyable ride for me is about 110 - 120 km/h on open road. If faster than I miss all the site seeing :)

I think in the future all the work about the bike I'll do myself or with a help of friends :)

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry mate. You won't have damaged anything. If so, you'd know it. There's quite a distinctive sound and loss of power when you blow your engine up. It could also seize up all together leading to your rear wheel to lock up quite suddenly, which is something I wouldn't want to have at motorway speeds. I was essentially thinking the same: oil topped up somewhere near the Alps, me being abt 1500-2000km further north close to Calais, so I might as well go on for another 100km... well, I could not. It comes without any warning. So, having had that experience, I now adapted the habit of checking oil levels at every fuel stop. May sound ridiculous but I rather wanna err on the safe side.

Did you manage to take off the restriction on your bike then? Cause the Swiss models are restricted on inlet rubbers and camshaft I think. For mine it's camshaft (and carbs) only. Which sounds really nasty to me. Don't fancy getting the engine out again only to release those 10 extra horses.

Cheers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The camshaft, sprockets and chains were changed by previous ovner, I only got out the plastic rings from inlet rubbers and I had a pair of old CDI from transalp witch I inserted in instead the ones what were inside. I am not sure about CDI if they were restricted too but I did it for any case. Now I must buy again one CDI because one was already welded from rear side of connector and it is missing a spark about every 5 sec. But the best thing from all is that mine AT is registered as 26 HP witch makes every year cheaper registration

By the way, my AT, on the clocks now is 192000km

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! I should really get a Dyno read for my bike. Chances are that the camshaft has been replaced as well. I'm pretty sure there aren't any restrictions on the ICU but there's a lot of info on restrictions for all AT models on this forum. Just search for engine restriction and you'll find it.

My twin clocks about 140k btw. I guess this is the kind of mileage comparison you'll only have with AT owners :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts