Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looks like we're now off to Switzerland in 2016 :D If any one has any advice, hotel recommendations and the best passes to ride I'd appreciate any help !

The plan is to ride to a single hotel and use that as a base to explore the passes.

Cheers all :thumb:

·
Registered
213 Posts
No neither did I last year touring Europe including Switzerland but got away with it but it could have been a costly mistake!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Technically you only need the Vignette for the motorways. Other roads are free. However, it's only CHF40.-, is valid for a year and will save a lot of time.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Hotel Astoria, Ulrichen. It's a bikers hotel right in the middle of all the best passes :thumbleft:

It's a while since we stayed there but still has good reviews.

Reactions: Dave H

·
Registered
161 Posts
Except that the Vignette is only valid when stuck properly to the windscreen...so if you tape it on and then get checked by the police :hitler:they'll say you haven't got a vignette, fine you CHF200.- and then make you buy another vignette. :( Then, you won't feel so canny...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Went for a long weekend in 2010. Channel tunnel Thursday am early, Brienz that night. Grimsel, Furka and Susten passes Friday morning, then on to Grindlewald camping beneath the Eiger. Saturday Adelboden then turn for home. Saturday night in Vittel through the Vosges. Home in time for Sunday lunch. Happy Days.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went for a long weekend in 2010. Channel tunnel Thursday am early, Brienz that night. Grimsel, Furka and Susten passes Friday morning, then on to Grindlewald camping beneath the Eiger. Saturday Adelboden then turn for home. Saturday night in Vittel through the Vosges. Home in time for Sunday lunch. Happy Days.
Bloody hell, you dont mess around ! :thumb: Long weekend? That's got a week written all over it for us!

Cheers for the pass names :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
The vignette is compulsory for highways only. It's CHF 40 and valid from 01 January to 31 January of the following year.
If you don't like that sticker on the outside of your bike stick it on the under side of your bike's saddle. Almost all police men, or Race Stewards as we like to call them, accept that. Even they know there are too many bored people around that try to scrape the vignette of your bike just for the fun of it.
But I don't think you'll need a vignette since even the main roads bring you very fast from one base hotel to another. And Swiss Highways are as boring as any other highway on this planet.
Use backroads, that's my advice.

You should find information on the internet to all the following passes and roads. If not let me know.
Passes (big ones):
- Susten
- Grimsel
- Furka
- Oberalp
- Lukmanier
- Gotthard
- Nufenen
- Klausen
- Julier
- Flüela
- Albula
- Bernina
- Maloja
- Splügen

Passes (small ones):
- Glaubenberg
- Glaubenbüelen
- Ächerli
- Hulftegg
- Schwägalp
- Ibergeregg
- Sattelegg
- Pragel

Valleys (some of them are dead ends):
- Valle Maggia
- Val Verzasca
- Centovalli

Areas:
- The hills north and south of the Tösstal
- The area enclosed by Biel - Neuchatel - La Chaux-de-Fonds - Delemont - Porrentruy

Stay away from:
- Lake side roads --> heavy traffic
- Hotels that specifically advertise for bikers --> very often a rip off
- All places with nice, shiny cars in the parking lot
- The cities Lucerne, Interlaken, Zug, Zurich, Geneva --> too touristy and a rip off

Look for:
- Backroads
- Hotels and Restaurants that are frequented by locals --> no fancy cars in the parking lot

Keep in mind that many passes only open towards the end of May.

If you have more detailed questions go ahead.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you have more detailed questions go ahead.

Cheers
Markus
WOW! Cheers Markus, that's a great help. :thumb:

I agree with you abut the lakes and cities; been stuck too many times looking for the 'big names' and ending up cheesed off with traffic.
Thanks for your help:D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Splugen highly recommendable but we also did The St Bernard pass. Needless to say we got to the top and found a bunch of massive beautiful dogs too :) pass is amazing, not as hard as the Splugen IMHO and some breathtaking views....
As others have said Vignetta only if you ride motorways...

Reactions: Dave H
1 - 20 of 21 Posts