Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ive just bought a honda xr250r 2001 bike and i want to change the oil, but im confused about fully synthetic, semi-synthetic, oils as im not sure whats in the bike at the moment. Would it matter if it was fully syn in there now and i drained it and put semi-syn in or vice versa? thanks alot guyys

·
Registered
11 Posts
the xr's have a wet clutch and if you use "semi synthetic" youl get clutch slip when it gets v hot as happened to mine, but its no big problem to drain one and put in another grade, just drain the oil using both the drain plugs and fill with a semi synthetic, rockoil -guardian is meant to be a good one for the xr

·
Registered
114 Posts
the xr's have a wet clutch and if you use "semi synthetic" youl get clutch slip when it gets v hot as happened to mine, but its no big problem to drain one and put in another grade, just drain the oil using both the drain plugs and fill with a semi synthetic, rockoil -guardian is meant to be a good one for the xr
Surely you mean 'you'll get clutch slip with fully synthetic' don't you?

i.e. use sem synthetic to avoid clutch slip. This was the case with my CCM!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
mineral and synth oils mix fine.. a semi synth is just that! the only rule is do not use a any oil thats not 120% BIKE specific.

i did an emergency oil change and used car engine oil it was about the right grade :confused: , bad idea,.
result clutch plates covered in burnt deposits, the quick job cost new clutch plates and another oil change damage done after about 400 miles of my sons gentle riding. :(:(:(:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts