Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Following the attempted theft of my Transalp a few weeks ago, I now need a replacement ignition barrel, technically it still functions but they've shattered the casing and sheared the steering lock.
I cant seem to find any on eBay (not in the UK at least) and Honda suppliers I've spoken to want upwards of £170 for just the barrel.

Ideally I want a full lock set so I dont end up with two different keys, but all dependant on cost :(

Does anyone know if any other models share the same ignition barrel? The XL700 looks quite similar, and the XL600 pattern locks seem to be dirt cheap, though cant tell if similar.

Cheers!
Rich

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
The trouble is, by getting a new key & barrel your HISS immobiliser won't disarm.
I guess you could keep the old & new keys together so the old key will still be registered.

Ditto getting a full lockset - you'll still need an old coded key nearby, unless I believe you get a matching coded ecu with the keys & lockset.

If you coukd get an ignition lock, maybe a locksmith could make it work with your existing (coded) key.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
you can get a non HISS key cut to the profile of the new HISS key so the ignition can be switched on and put an old HISS key that the ECU recognises by the HISS sensor and the bike should start. On occasions when I have needed to get a 2nd HISS key I normally get a non HISS blank cut first to make sure the existing key is good enough to cut a profile onto the new expensive HISS key. I then have a spare that can unlock the sea, fuel cap etc whilst the main key is in the steering lock.
The HISS key only needs to be held near the sensor until the HISS light goes out to show that the HISS key has been recognised. HISS does not interrogate the HISS key again during running until the ignition is switched off and the ignition/Hiss cycle is restarted.
Do not put 2 HISS keys close to the sensor at the same time, it confuses it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HISS is an utter ball ache.

it costs a fortune to get new keys cut

and is a right pain when you want to change/swap any locks/keys etc
I have the same problem.. Hope that the local HONDA dealer can help with a solution..
Otherwise I am in trouble..
I only have one key for the old lock, and has been bent a few times.
Old lock is also worn.
Just a matter of time before I brake the one old key that I have :-/

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I notice that Chinese lock sets are about £50 on UK EBay, I assume the keys are not HISS but you do have a HISS key that the electronics work but not the mechanics (unlock the lock). I had problems with my new Vara that only had 1 key. The HISS would not add another Honda chipped key to the bike but my local(ish) locksmith could use my sole key to make a clone chipped key that appears to work. He used car key cloning equipment, it needs the bike to be available so he can read the signals. There is info on the net about this cloning, I assume you can find locksmiths that will do it in Denmark.
Or you strap the existing key to the key ring with the non HISS key from the chinese set, it should be close enough to get a signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I notice that Chinese lock sets are about £50 on UK EBay, I assume the keys are not HISS but you do have a HISS key that the electronics work but not the mechanics (unlock the lock). I had problems with my new Vara that only had 1 key. The HISS would not add another Honda chipped key to the bike but my local(ish) locksmith could use my sole key to make a clone chipped key that appears to work. He used car key cloning equipment, it needs the bike to be available so he can read the signals. There is info on the net about this cloning, I assume you can find locksmiths that will do it in Denmark.
Or you strap the existing key to the key ring with the non HISS key from the chinese set, it should be close enough to get a signal.
Thanks for info.

No danish locksmith will touch honda motorcycle keys.

I have previously asked the local locksmith.

Sometimes there is no other way, then to visit the honda motorcycle mechanic.

I know of one dealer, that I hope can solve he problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts