Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
New to biking, 1st bike is a Transalp 700! Has anyone found reasonably priced stainless bolt kits for their bikes? Some of my lower Allen bolts are looking rusty and stainless seemed sensible for an all year round bike. I found a kit in the UK for around £50, but it would be nice to pay less!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Namrick Ltd (Nut and Bolt Store in Hove, but online sales currently.) Means checking out the sizes you will need but this place will sell in multiples of one if required. Read up on issues around stainless fastenings and aluminium...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the recommendation. Does the stainless interact negatively with aluminium? I will look at this before buying.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Big time. It is called galvanic corrosion, you're better off googling it than us trying to explain... If there is salt and water it will basically fuse them together. I am doing a resto of my AT and the only bolts I had to cut/drill out were stainless. Use nylon washers and anti-seize where you can if you intend to do this would be my advice... You can also find people to zinc-plate old bolts for you. I am doing all bolts, axles, springs, spacers, brackets from my AT at the moment... hundreds, literally.
Hopefully picking them up tomorrow - 60 quid for cleaning the rust off in acid and plating.
Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts