Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting all!!

After too many years out of bikes, I am returning with a 2001 TA 650. This is my 2nd TA as I used to run a 600 many moons ago and toured it round Europe and the UK and also did off-roading with it on several occasions. Well, I was younger then and an active TRF member! Somewhere I still have a piccy of me and Janice, 2-up at the top gate over Cadair Bronwen in Mid-Wales :)

Couple of questions to the illustrious company here please. What sort of fuel consumption can I expect to see with a "modest" riding style on a regular 20mile commute and 300 miles/week on business visits?

Secondly, what differences were made to the back end of the bike over a early 90's TA? I have a Givi wingrack system that I kept (gawd knows why!!) and I am wondering if I can fit it easily to the 650. Possibly a new fitting kit may be needed or is a bit of tweaking likely to be enough?

Steve

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Steve, I get between 47-51 mpg on a daily commute between Wellington and Cannock on my 2004 650 'alp, using mostly A5 plus a bit of M54. I also have a 'moderate' riding style so I'd expect you to get something similar. My bike has standard pipe and airfilter.
Sorry, can't help with advice on rack.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PeterM said:
:D
Good to see Transalps are becoming more popular in the area.
You do see a reasonable number commuting about the place. A good "Winter" bike I suppose.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stumpylegs said:
Hi Steve, I get between 47-51 mpg on a daily commute between Wellington and Cannock on my 2004 650 'alp, using mostly A5 plus a bit of M54. I also have a 'moderate' riding style so I'd expect you to get something similar. My bike has standard pipe and airfilter.
Sorry, can't help with advice on rack.
Cheers. 'bout what I expected really. Not brill, but it is a big lump to push through the air I guess. I got a similiar MPG back in the days when I ran a 600, so at least it is no worse....

"High speed" cruising on autobahns really murdered fuel consumption :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Steve.

I think the tail rack has changed quite a bit for the 650, but a fitting kit will sort it.

IanS

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Fuel consumption on the 650's tend's to be around the 47 to 50 mark regardless.
:?
Removing the cat/subchamber improved consumption to 55mpg below 5500rpm, harder riding's still 47ish.

Fuel gauge only reads the last half of tank contents but is very good once used to it.

650's are slightly different in most areas to the 600, the rack won't be a straight fit, may adapt with BFI* :wink:

Phil
* Brute Force & Ignorance :lol:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
At the risk of upsetting a few people - especiall Snagger or the artist now known as piguglyshandydrinker - I generall get 55 to 60 mpg on a mostl motorwa commute also done in modest style. :) Oh, and also 2001 TA

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oops! Sorry for that one.

I get between 14km/l (loaded at 120km/h) and 16km/l (not loaded at 120km/h). Is this normal? I think it is a bit high. Or am I wrong?

Some distances between petrol stations in Africa is very far (over 400km) and I always need to carry extra gas. I onoly get 260km on a tank. It is very low. And what is the reserve? 19l plus 5l?

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
If I ride like a gentleman I can get about 200 miles (320km) from a tank on my 650. If I cane the arrs off it I get about 170 miles (270km)

·
Dances with Drunks
228 Posts
Hi Zonkelnut

By my calculation, 1km/L is the same as 2.81mpg (imperial gallon).

120km/h is about 75mph.

So 14km/L is about 39mpg, which does seem a bit low although I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'loaded'. If you are touring Africa, have you got mountains of kit on board?

16km/L is about 45mpg, which is maybe a little bit lower than most people on here (and lots lower than Austin! :angry3:)

Your tank range calculates as about 161 miles, which is again perhaps just a little bit low

·
Registered
252 Posts
severs said:
If I ride like a gentleman I can get about 200 miles (320km) from a tank on my 650. If I cane the arrs off it I get about 170 miles (270km)
It have had about 175 from every fill up in the past 20k miles - what does that say about my riding style? :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Austin said:
At the risk of upsetting a few people - especiall Snagger or the artist now known as piguglyshandydrinker - I generall get 55 to 60 mpg on a mostl motorwa commute also done in modest style. :) Oh, and also 2001 TA

OOOh, that hurt :wink:

Phil - piguglybighammerwieldinshandydrinker!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IanS said:
Welcome to the Forum Steve.

I think the tail rack has changed quite a bit for the 650, but a fitting kit will sort it.

IanS
I spoke to the local dealers today, and after a quick call to Give, told me that £41 will get me a fitting kit! I will try the cheapskate approach first, using a flame spanner and a 2lb infinitely adjustable impact modifying spanner

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
>>Wellington,Shropshire

I see we are neighbours then! Who does your servicing or do you DIY?

·
Registered
93 Posts
OK. That does it. I thought it was bad. How do I fix this? I can not beleive and will not accept that by going 120km/h can only give me 260 km on a tank. Who will fix this for me? My Honda dealer? How do they do that? Put it on a dyno or something? If I can get 55 mpg (over 350km) on a tank, I will jump for joy. I have to carry extra 20l gas if I go into Africa and then still I worry for not making it to the next station.

So please help anybody with what I need to do. And again, please explain the reserve thing to me.

Cheers

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
Is your choke stuck on or something?

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
Dickster said:
severs said:
If I ride like a gentleman ... about 200 miles (320km) [per] tank... If I cane ... it ... 170 miles (270km)
It have had about 175 from every fill up in the past 20k miles - what does that say about my riding style?
How much do you call a "tank"? Maybe you don't let it get so low before you fill it. I get over 50mpg in "gentleman" mode, but when I say "200 miles per tank", I mean right down to the last few dribbles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, theres no reserve as such(?) so i fill up when the fuel guage is in the red. costs about £13.50 to fill up usually. i'll see how many litres next time.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts