Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you ask, no I haven't either.

However, I am weighing up, quite literally, my options regarding mounting luggage on the bike. Before I go any further, I need to know if the rear subfram is a known weak spot. Bear in mind also, that I could well end up taking my other half on the bike too, together with luggage...

So, have many snapped out there?

If so, under what conditions?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Not that I know of, if I recall, there's little difference between the 600 & 650 subframe & there's plenty of us on here who've strapped straped plenty to the back of those 2 up.

Of course decent pannier frames that spread the load away from the rear subframe will help, obviously check for corrosion too - otherwise, she'll be fine.

Phil

·
Registered
897 Posts
Bet internal corrosion of tubing and box sections is something alot of people wonder about especially on ageing machines, guess the answer is to make access by drilling if needed and filling with oil then draining off while you know the steel is still good. If its already aged when you aquire it then its pot luck I suppose.

Made myself some footrest brackets out of box section a while ago and did this -------- think about it every time I stand up on them at speed! --------- Chris

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
mines a 94 R not heard any reports of the rear frame going:thumbup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
i had a cbr 1000 rear sub frame snap on 1 side ide just got the bike when i got home and removed the plastics the sub frame had been cut and rewelded crash damage probaly?
i broke the bike for spares it was a death trap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts